Expression 3: can I record an effect into a cue

Dustincoc

I've got a couple spots in the show I'm working on where we want some sort of effect going on. I'd like to record these as part of a cue. The only way I've been able to find to record an effect is to a submaster.

A way that I have found to have an effect sub fire as part of a cue is as follows:

-Program the effect into the sub (we'll say its sub 15 for now)
-create a macro as follows (I like to program the macro as the same number as the cue for easy memory recall, let's say its cue 205)
--[setup], [8] [enter], [s1] [macro number], [s7], [s1] [effect sub number], [macro enter].
-do the same thing, but make a different sub number (I like to do one after), and with Off Sub-bump that effect sub
-once you make those 2 macros, link them to the cues you want

What this whole thing is doing is, linking the cue to a macro which, if programmed correctly, will fire one macro that will latch the effect sub on, and another to latch it off. It's automating the process of you pressing the latching bump button.

I included screen shots of my offline editor showing how the macro screen and the cue screen should look using the above examples. If you need further help or the full keystrokes, I would be glad to help you.

8909-expression-3-can-i-record-effect-into-cue-effectsub1.jpg
8911-expression-3-can-i-record-effect-into-cue-effectsub3.jpg

~Nick

Attachments

• effectsub1.JPG
    effectsub1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 301
  • effectsub3.JPG
    effectsub3.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
You can if you change the cue type to an effect. Or link to a macro that fires an effect sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen a few thread from you and it looks like your having problems with your console. Grab the PDF of the Expression manual and browse through it it is very extensive and quite helpful.

But your keystrokes for effects are going to be. Record a blank cue then hit type and hit 3 for effect. Then hit blind and got to the cue you made as your effect cue. A side note to remember whatever cue you have before the effect cue will stay on, so if you want just the effect make sure you put a black blocking cue in before the effect cue.

I'm not having problems with the console per say. I'm just quite a bit rusty since its been almost 5 years since I've done any lighting. Ialso have never worked on then Expression 3 before, just an Express 24/48 and an Expression 2. All these questions are more to grind off some of the rust. I also never used efects when I was doing lighting years ago. I've already got the manual PDF for home, and I've got a printed copy at the theatre; problem being, I've spent all my time in the theatre up until now getting the majority of the rig in the air by myself,and spending hours when I get home working on the design as far a cueing ans such as I get to see more bits and pieces of the show. I've also got the off-line editor but I'm on a Linux system and when running it with WINE, the resolution is off and all the keys are tiny.

Edit: Scratch that part about having the offline editor, I just messed it up so bad I delete and reinstall and its still screwed up.

Edit 2: It may have been an Expression 1x that I used. I've got it out in the garage but I have no monitors for it and I can't get to it to check, the roadcase its in is labelled as an Expression 2x but I can't recall the board having Expression 2x on it,just Expression, and I do believe the floppy drive was mounted on the top.

Last edited:
I've also got the off-line editor but I'm on a Linux system and when running it with WINE, the resolution is off and all the keys are tiny.

Edit: Scratch that part about having the offline editor, I just messed it up so bad I delete and reinstall and its still screwed up.

In the upper left hand corner is a windows box click it and you will be able to adjust the window size.

This is on my 1680x1050 and 1920x1080

Offline Editor.jpg

I have no clue what you are talking about, the boxes in th upper left corner don't have any effect on size for me.

Also, the pics you posted appear to be on a windows syatem, I'm running EOL on a Linux system using an emulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back