Help identifying/fixing a light

So the internal wiring is probably asbestos, the external cord is the wrong gauge, and it looks like the insulation is stating to crack in a few places. It probably needs to be totally rewired to be used safely. I also just found out we don't have any more lamps for it and they cost around $50 each. Am I better off having it professionally rewired, or looking into buying a replacement? If I have it rewired how do I go about finding someone to do that? I'm guessing I probably shouldn't handle it myself without more technical expertise.

It seems a student overheard me telling one of the other faculty about the potential asbestos wiring and now the administration is freaking out over the potential issue it could cause. Is there any reason to have concerns for the health of students who operated the light, but didn't open it, go inside, or touch the wiring? I'd like to be able to reassure them that as long as nobody actually messed with the wiring we shouldn't be concerned, but I'm not actually sure if that is true. Should I suggest that the school sell the lights to someone who will professionaly rewire them then resell them, or should they just have the lights takes away by an asbestos abatement team? I'm trying to figure out the best options so I can advise them.

It can be really hard for a school to sell things. Better to have a company come take them off your hands. In my opinion, as long as the cords aren't flaking off and the kids aren't huffing the cable, they should be just fine.

I don't have a clue who did that or how long it's been like that. Is there any way I could easily check the cable to see if it is 12 gauge or 14 gauge?
If the size isn't printed on the jacket, you can measure the bare conductor diameter. 12 ga. solid conductor is about 0.080"; 12 ga. stranded is about 0.095". 14 ga. solid conductor is about 0.064"; 14 ga. stranded is about 0.073". You do have a micrometer laying around, don't you? :)

Should I suggest that the school sell the lights
You should suggest that the fixture needs to be replaced by a modern equivalent. Such things were bypassed in the past because they were concentrating on "building material" that contained asbestos. I had a inspector in the late 70's early 80's ask if i knew of any pipe insulation that might contain asbestos. when i pointed out the asbestos leads on the fixtures he just shrugged and told me if it was not building material it did not need to go into his report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back