These Ads will no longer appear once you have logged into ControlBooth.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Gobo Holder

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by lieperjp, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

For a show I'm doing I would like to use gobos for a night forest scene. However, I'm not sure how this type of gobo holder works! (I've only used the square kind)

[​IMG]

I did some searching but I could only find them for sale and no instructions. The fit inside the S4 Jr but they seem to small - they slide in all the way to the handle and then wiggle around inside the fixture. Something tells me that isn't right. I've also tried them in my S-C Lekos but the same thing happens - it doesn't secure.

These are going in a S4 Jr Zoom. I know these are not B sized gobos, but I'm not sure they are M sized gobos. The gobo is 2.5 inches in diameter - is that size M? At the widest point the holder is 2.75 in wide.
  2. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

That is an M size holder for a S4 Jr. They are supposed to "wiggle" as you can't rotate the barrel.
  3. Wolf

Wolf Member

im not sure about it being m sized but I have used them in S4 Jr Zooms and they work fine

icewolf posted as I was writing so yes they are m
  4. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

Really? It just doesn't seem right that it could slide in all the way to the plastic.

What is the little triangle cut out at the top for?
  5. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Yup, they do, and there are some manufacturers of A and B size holders for standard S4 fixtures that do the same. I believe the triangle punch out helps hold the template all in one plane within the fixture.
  6. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Yup, thats the M sized gobo holder. That top little tab is what holds it secure, bend it out a bit if you need more pressure. The gobo holder is round so you can "rack" the gobo back and forth to square it up. Think of it as a cheap barrel rotation.
  7. JGO

JGO New Member

Technical Director
    does anyone make a gobo holder that fits in a standard source four, but the hole is only big enough for an m sized gobo?
  8. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

hobbsies likes this.
  9. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

Just used a bunch of them this weekend and they work fine. You want the bent out tab towards the shutters.
  10. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

The gobo holder shown in the original post should work well in a S4 Jr Zoom, and indeed- 66mm M size is what the doctor ordered.

Were you able to get this situation resolved?

From- http://www.texasscenic.com/ETC Sheets/7062L1010_Source_Four_jr_Zoom_Spec_Sht_vD.pdf

Source Four jr Zoom Accessories
    Model Description

400JZK Source Four jr Zoom upgrade kit*
    400CC C-clamp (included)
    400SC Safety Cable
    400JRS Drop-in Iris
    400CF Colorframe
    400DN Donut
    400TH Top Hat
    400HH Half Hat
    400GE Gel Extender
    400PH Pattern holder (M size)****
  11. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Don't know if of any help but 3M Scotch brand #69 high temp. electrical tape is very useful on gobo holders to tape a gobo to the gel frame holder.
  12. kicknargel

kicknargel Active Member Premium Member

If it's that loose, it's possible you're putting it in the large iris / accessory slot (with the sliding cover with two screws) rather than the gobo slot, which is right against the shutter.
  13. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

I was talking about the upper edge of gobo holders in 3 point support - taping the gobo to the holder at the upper part so it don't get bent and stuck while extracting it. Could probably use Tack Tape for this purpose also as an add on note but I don't think it will remove as well.