Hog 1000 crashing

skynet2035

My theater has a hog 1000 that continuously freezes and locks up. Sometimes even crashing to the point of having to reinstall the OS system. It's running the latest version. Does anyone have advice or experience with this issue? Is there any possible solution or is the board on its last leg? Thank you.

I'll check with one of my guys that's worked on them more, but I know he has solved similar problems in the past by replacing the bios battery. If I remember correctly, it is a bit of a hassle, because that battery is soldered in, not a button battery in a holder.

If its corrupting the OS, I'd also possibly suspect the HDD. Just based on working with PCs all day long.
And that's the key! The Hog is basically a computer in a different case and with a different user interface. The diagnostics are more in line with how you would diagnose a desktop PC. Crashes can be caused by a bad HD, a noisy power supply, bad ram, etc.

@BobHealey and @JD, except for the minor fact that the Hog 1000 (or the 500 or Wholehog II) doesn't have a hard drive, just a 3.5" floppy drive.

I believe @cbrandt is on the right track. Call Light Parts for the battery, and if that doesn't correct the unwanted behavior, the console might have to go to them for service anyway.

Try a clean start. Unlike a CPU the hog 1k doesn't clear its ram every time you power it up. After some time of programming it will get sluggish and crash. Below is from the manual about how to perform a clean start. When we had these in inventory we would make it a habit to always Clean start the console when powering it up for the day.

"If you’ve had a crash, reset the console by turning off the power and turning it back on while holding down the Enter key on the keypad. Press 1 to perform a Clean Start. Because your show may have been corrupted by the crash, you’ll need to load your most recent backup from disk. This is why it’s important to back up to disk frequently"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back