How is the etc Cobalt for busking?

I'm currently using an ETC Insight 2x. It's been in the venue for nearly 20 years now and is a great board for both busking and more theatrical productions, both of which are common to the venue. It still runs very well with the exception of 2 out of 108 sub masters not working properly. The biggest problem right now is the limitations of the number of channels, there's only 324 of them which are all pretty much full which is keeping us from investing in more intelligent lighting. Does anyone have any experience with the cobalt 20 console in regards to busking and theatre?

Hello Michael,
I love the Cobalt for busking shows.
Here is my $.02!
The Cobalt is the best console for busking and/or cue playback in a theater environment with automated fixtures and LEDs.
Some of my reasoning:
1st- ETC technical support
2nd- Channel grid familiar to a theater designer and programmer also supports graphical magic sheet layouts
3rd- Main playback list looks like a list you are familiar with from the Insight
4th- Direct access control makes for fast on the fly changes. Quickly apply palettes to fixtures with timing.
5th- Great manual control of fades. For shows that I don't know, I run the xfades manually a lot of the time. I have also used the feature to follow a dancer with a moving light. We set the path for the dancer in the sequence, and I followed the dancer with the xfader.
6th- Phenomenal move in dark for automated fixtures.
7th- Very easy to make changes to what is stored in Masters. If you realize that you need to change something, you can do it quickly on the fly without having to enter any other menus. # PRESET & Master Select key loads new content to the master. A master can also have a palette loaded to it and use the master to manually fade into the palette.
8th- Stuff that is coming in the next release of software. The console keeps getting better.
9th- Independents! I love using them for works, houselights, hazer. I don't ever have to worry about them being recorded into anything.
In my opinion, the Cobalt is more like the Expression/Insight line than the EOS is.
Here is the BIG caveat...You have to make the adjustment to the RPN syntax. The board programs like Yoda speaks. It took me a couple of days to adjust to it when I started on the Congo which was the predecessor. There is an advantage to becoming Jedi...speed. RPN saves keystrokes and with the touchscreens you don't have to use the keyboard much.
I just spent a month researching consoles. I tried out many of the competitors against the Cobalt. There are good consoles out there, but for the features that I wanted, the Cobalt fit the bill best of all.
You can download the Cobalt software from ETC and load it onto a computer. The software has a Console Mimic Dock that will allow you to get a sense of how it programs.
If you have any further questions, I will do my best to answer them when I get a chance. You can also go to the Cobalt forum on ETC's website.
Take care,
John

Reactions: Ric
Hello Michael,
I love the Cobalt for busking shows.
Here is my $.02!
The Cobalt is the best console for busking and/or cue playback in a theater environment with automated fixtures and LEDs.
Some of my reasoning:
1st- ETC technical support
2nd- Channel grid familiar to a theater designer and programmer also supports graphical magic sheet layouts
3rd- Main playback list looks like a list you are familiar with from the Insight
4th- Direct access control makes for fast on the fly changes. Quickly apply palettes to fixtures with timing.
5th- Great manual control of fades. For shows that I don't know, I run the xfades manually a lot of the time. I have also used the feature to follow a dancer with a moving light. We set the path for the dancer in the sequence, and I followed the dancer with the xfader.
6th- Phenomenal move in dark for automated fixtures.
7th- Very easy to make changes to what is stored in Masters. If you realize that you need to change something, you can do it quickly on the fly without having to enter any other menus. # PRESET & Master Select key loads new content to the master. A master can also have a palette loaded to it and use the master to manually fade into the palette.
8th- Stuff that is coming in the next release of software. The console keeps getting better.
9th- Independents! I love using them for works, houselights, hazer. I don't ever have to worry about them being recorded into anything.
In my opinion, the Cobalt is more like the Expression/Insight line than the EOS is.
Here is the BIG caveat...You have to make the adjustment to the RPN syntax. The board programs like Yoda speaks. It took me a couple of days to adjust to it when I started on the Congo which was the predecessor. There is an advantage to becoming Jedi...speed. RPN saves keystrokes and with the touchscreens you don't have to use the keyboard much.
I just spent a month researching consoles. I tried out many of the competitors against the Cobalt. There are good consoles out there, but for the features that I wanted, the Cobalt fit the bill best of all.
You can download the Cobalt software from ETC and load it onto a computer. The software has a Console Mimic Dock that will allow you to get a sense of how it programs.
If you have any further questions, I will do my best to answer them when I get a chance. You can also go to the Cobalt forum on ETC's website.
Take care,
John

Thanks John that helps a lot. This seems to be the console I favor the most just from reading. Do you know how the Avolite Titan is compared to the Cobalt?

Hello Michael,

John

I agree with John on all of the above points he makes. The Cobalt is great for busking!
Take note of the specific point he mentioned. While you can run it in @ mode ( similar commands as a Strand or EOS/Ion) using the console in it's native RPN is just better.

Another great feature is the file format of the Cobalt is *asc (ascii file format) which is very compatible to import/export from other consoles. Most consoles export to an ascii format which the Cobalt will import. ( Importing from other consoles is always going to give varying results, but is a quick way to at least get basic Cue information.)

Last edited:
Have you contacted your ETC dealer to see if you can get a demo, same with Avolites. Considering how long you have used your present console this is something you want to get right.

I'm currently using an ETC Insight 2x. It's been in the venue for nearly 20 years now and is a great board for both busking and more theatrical productions, both of which are common to the venue. It still runs very well with the exception of 2 out of 108 sub masters not working properly. The biggest problem right now is the limitations of the number of channels, there's only 324 of them which are all pretty much full which is keeping us from investing in more intelligent lighting. Does anyone have any experience with the cobalt 20 console in regards to busking and theatre?

Michael,
I've been running the Cobalt since it came out a couple of years ago, and ancestor Congo, for about seven years prior in a mixed-use concert hall full of movers. Generally we do music and live events, other times it's comedy, corporate shows & meetings, community events, performance art, private events, and the occasional really unusual stuff like bodybuilding competitions (yes) and TV tapings. We've also done theatre, Broadway-revue style shows, and even dance and half-staged opera. Cobalt can handle all of this with speed and aplomb: it's very fast for busking and has a powerful ton of shortcuts for theatre. Its very short commands can do complex things in a right hurry; and because I am a staff of me, I care a lot about speed.

Theatre, yesterday: one-man performance piece, very theatre-ish. The guest LD is freely adapting his show to our space, so the bare bones of his initial concept are intact but he's having some fun with the gear. Some of his cues are identical repeats that are frequently restored to; some are copied from existing looks & then edited. Cobalt allows 'cues' to be re-used within a sequence, so that if you have ten looks but four of them are blackouts, you only need to write one blackout and re-insert it. Your list might look like this: 1,2,5,2,6,2,9, where 2 is your blackout. So when my LD says "Q 38 will be a restore to Q12" I just type "12 insert" (3 keystrokes) and it's there. Any edits made later to the look of Q12 will then be updated throughout the show, every time it's used. Fast fast. On the other hand, if he wants to build a cue from an existing look, say "I want Q50 to build from Q25," all I need to type is "25 (hold) Preset (& tap) A" and my live output is suddenly the contents of 25, to do with whatever I want--instead of having to Copy Cue 25 to 50, Goto 50, or Goto 25, Record 50 or whatever the string is. Fast fast.

Busking example: faders can contain almost any content: Groups, Color Palettes, entire Sequences (cue lists), individual parameters, individual console keys, you name it. They are fast to load: hold the Group button and swipe across master keys & all your Groups will load sequentially, for instance. The master keys and faders are customizable so depending on what kind of content is loaded and what you want to happen when you tap, hold, twist or slide you can achieve a lot of different things. Jazz concert: to select a group of lights and fade their color in a specific time, it's 3+ keystrokes: "[Master button-Group] 9 [Master button-Color Palette]" and those lights will fade to that color in 9 seconds while your hands are freed up to do other things like run band specials or inhibit backlights or something.

The RPN is a relatively small learning curve and (IMO) a red herring: it's far harder to explain it than it is to teach your hands to do it, and while it is central to some concepts, Cobalt hardware does not confine you to the command keys for programming. You're not gonna be typing all the time: you may build content that way or navigate that way, but the touchscreens remove a great deal of command typing. My only real Cobalt caution for anyone--and it may not apply to your situation--is that it is by design and architecture NOT a tracking console and if you work with designers who are married to tracking, you will have trouble working around this. I am my own designer almost all of the time, and I find I rarely miss it; but if you really need it, I wouldn't go with this console.

Recommend you get your local dealer to give you a demo: it helps a lot to have a pro walk you through the intro, and the offline editor will only get you so far. So much of Cobalt's speed and power is tactile .

I concur about RPN. It's only a problem if you love typing your commands in (and only for a short while until you build the muscle memory), and if you find yourself manually typing in lots and lots of commands, you're using the console the least efficient way possible.

Cobalt is fantastic for busking. Others have already hit the main selling points, but for conventionals or movers this platform is great. My personal favorite feature is just how flexible the faders can be - you can put just about anything on them! The independents are also a great bonus - never had them on a desk before but am amazed how useful they are. One other feature I haven't seen mentioned yet is the "Freeze" function - awesome to have when busking. Once you get the hang of the console you'll be amazed how quickly you can design and program a show, and change just about anything on the fly! Definitely see a demo, and be sure the person demoing actually knows Cobalt (and all the tricks, otherwise it'll just seem really cumbersome). ETC also published a number of demo/tutorial videos on Youtube, so check those out to see just how much power Cobalt packs. When I was choosing the next console for my personal inventory I demo'd the Cobalt platform against Eos. Eos is great no doubt, and very popular in schools and theaters where standard cue playback is the norm. Cobalt is completely different and much more dynamic per say. Since most of my shows are busked and/or run after one rehearsal at best, Cobalt was definitely the solution for me! No regrets going this direction at all and of course ETC's support is spot on. Can't go wrong! Hope this helps!

-Jeff

Hi Michael,
I wish I could tell you about the new Avo Titan software. I am waiting on getting a demo of the Sapphire Touch. I have run a Diamond 4 for years. Great for busking, not great for theatrical shows. I have used the Avos from "Rock to Opera", but the Cobalt is the only platform that I would choose to do that on now.
What Anne said about the RPN is correct. It is harded to explain than to get into muscle memory.
Take care,
John

I loved the Congo/Cobalt. It is a true multi-use board, works well for both theater and busking, come with the ETC support(The best part). I say go for it !

Hi Michael,
I wish I could tell you about the new Avo Titan software. I am waiting on getting a demo of the Sapphire Touch. I have run a Diamond 4 for years. Great for busking, not great for theatrical shows. I have used the Avos from "Rock to Opera", but the Cobalt is the only platform that I would choose to do that on now.
What Anne said about the RPN is correct. It is harded to explain than to get into muscle memory.
Take care,
John

The theater stack and cues have improved a lot, it's not at ETC levels, but for a multipurpose space it's pretty good.

Cobalt is fantastic for busking. Others have already hit the main selling points, but for conventionals or movers this platform is great. My personal favorite feature is just how flexible the faders can be - you can put just about anything on them! The independents are also a great bonus - never had them on a desk before but am amazed how useful they are. One other feature I haven't seen mentioned yet is the "Freeze" function - awesome to have when busking. Once you get the hang of the console you'll be amazed how quickly you can design and program a show, and change just about anything on the fly! Definitely see a demo, and be sure the person demoing actually knows Cobalt (and all the tricks, otherwise it'll just seem really cumbersome). ETC also published a number of demo/tutorial videos on Youtube, so check those out to see just how much power Cobalt packs. When I was choosing the next console for my personal inventory I demo'd the Cobalt platform against Eos. Eos is great no doubt, and very popular in schools and theaters where standard cue playback is the norm. Cobalt is completely different and much more dynamic per say. Since most of my shows are busked and/or run after one rehearsal at best, Cobalt was definitely the solution for me! No regrets going this direction at all and of course ETC's support is spot on. Can't go wrong! Hope this helps!

-Jeff
Jeff,

I'm in Fort Myers, Florida. Looking to buy a cobalt 20 soon. Would like to see a demo of it before purchase. would this be possible seeing that you are in Florida as well?

Hi Jonathan,

I'm glad to hear you're interested in the Cobalt platform! What I'd actually recommend is contacting ETC and requesting a demo from them directly. When I was considering adopting Cobalt (really a Congo Kid running Cobalt) as my next console for personal ownership, I visited ETC's Orlando location to demo not only Cobalt but also the Eos and Smartfade platforms as well. ETC will also generally come to you too, but seeing as I'm a mobile operator and don't have a home venue of sorts it made sense for me to go to them. As others have echoed here, ETC's support and customer relations are second to none. The demo I received lasted about 2 and a half hours and was one-on-one with an ETC representative. He was extremely thorough to address all of my questions and concerns, and what probably impressed me the most was that there was no pressure to purchase the most expensive console in the room - it was all about what fit my needs the best. That's the route I'd suggest going, plus if you're looking to invest in a new board it never hurts to strengthen your relationship with local reps and distributors. Hope this helps and best of luck with the purchase!

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back