Inkie/ Par16 Wiring

macsound

Looking at highlighting some architecture in the house of a theatre by adding about 15 tiny pars per side.

I'm not sure how long this setup will stay hung for. I'm adding it for my show, but if the space likes having the ability to just bring up a couple channels and illuminate all the cool woodwork etc. they may decide to not take it down.

I was planning on using orchestra pit stringers and zip tying to pipe in the grid, but if they plan to leave it, how long should I say is ok before they need to check and replace?
Also, anyone have LED options that may be better than Par 16s?

Pinspots using a #4515 lamp are commonly used in highlight, but depends on what you want to do and use. The flood of an Inkie might be less useful - though if you top hat it... can even lamp down to 35 watt halogen/xenon lamp in worth looking at, and PAR 20 dependant on 50w PAR 20 lamp in spot, flood or wide, or a 100w JDR-MR-16 used in it, has different results but is normally preferred. LED options are available but might not be dimmable, or if they are, might not be controllable on a standard dimmer given the less than 75w norm for a loading on a dimmer minimum.

Power strip. As for how long, "28 day wonder" is the term I know of for how long something not hard wired and installed can stay up as a norm. Local codes or concerns local in regulation or care, as with schoos having their own rules..

I can't believe the pica cube is $350. I mean I guess I can, but geez.
28 days seems crazy for a theatre though. The show run is longer than that.

28 daywonder is a standard. Obviously if show runnint longer it would get exception. Believe the concept is - and those more familar with the concept can better explain..

If you have a show and it's long term or perminant, it should be hard wired to do so. Absolutely a code thing from the 20's of 30's in concept, but does have a base in why you for say your many year long show, cannot just run cable to the fixtures. SJ cable if able to use have perhaps a 5-10 year lifespan dependant on conditions - they should be inspected after use. If a long show, no ability to inspect. Double that for SO hard service cable for service life as required for type 1A stages. But depends on use and conditions that use. SJ for normal theaters is not code for other than shorter lengths on most stages. Anyway, essence of that is that the NEC would rather outlets to long term shows, than something rubber cable in a long run to outlet. Simple as that.

As for how long, "28 day wonder" is the term I know of for how long something not hard wired and installed can stay up as a norm. Local codes or concerns local in regulation or care, as with schools having their own rules..
Pretty sure "28 day wonder" IS NOT a thing as far as the NEC. It's never come up when the topic has arisen before. See also
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/portable-vs-installation.39800/
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/nec-code-applicability.8776/

Looking at highlighting some architecture in the house of a theatre by adding about 15 tiny pars per side.

I'm not sure how long this setup will stay hung for. I'm adding it for my show, but if the space likes having the ability to just bring up a couple channels and illuminate all the cool woodwork etc. they may decide to not take it down.

I was planning on using orchestra pit stringers and zip tying to pipe in the grid, but if they plan to leave it, how long should I say is ok before they need to check and replace?
Also, anyone have LED options that may be better than Par 16s?

Use Par 16's on transformers. There's a local theatre near me who have done successfully what you are trying to achieve. The theatre is an old coverted corn exchange built in 1860's. They use a blue gel that gives out a pink hue around the edges.

Sounds like a job for track light.

I know we're still discussing, but does anyone have a suggested length of time I should quote?
Personally I was going to say 6 months so when they forget and don't look at it for a year, all should still be good.
Do zip ties also sound ok? Or should I just tieline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back