Design lovers in the moonlight

Ward

hello everyone
We are doing Grease this fall and I would like to create in the opening scene a full moon effect with the two lovers silhouette in front of the moon. My first instinct was to say I'll get a scrim and do a rear projection. Then I researched Scrims and found how expensive they are. Is there another material that can be used?
thanks
Steve

Scrim is not the right product for that effect, since you'd see the source behind it.

You'd really want an RP screen, which is also expensive if you want a drop that is your full stage width and height. If you could have a smaller effect, you could use any number of alternative materials. Search "RP screen" in the little box up there on the right for some ideas. If you have a cyc already, experiment with how that looks lit from behind (although you're likely to be able to see the source through that, too).

Alternately, how about a big moon box? Or a moon-shaped screen that you RP the image onto?

HTH,
Jen

The image of the moon the audience sees does not have to be the source of light for the actors. It's all about the illusion of being lit by the moon. Hang another instrument to backlight the actors.

Yup. Put no front light on the actors, and maybe cast them with a cool high back light only. If you want them in silhoutte, then they should be dark, with the surface (Cyc?) behind them lit, putting them in shadow in front of it. So maybe a deep blue cyc with a Moon box or moon gobo on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back