Control/Dimming New (used) Console

Hey guys. We're looking for a new lighting console. It can (and likely will be) used as our budget is usually way too tight :). Almost all of our shows are busking, and can be anything from rock bands, to talent shows, to choir concerts, to theatre, to fashion shows. We currently have and EDI Bijou 48/96, some kind of 2 scene, and a usb to DMX box for MagicQ. We use the Bijou for most shows. The MagicQ tends to not work well due to busking, and sometimes a lack of a laptop, plus the learning curve is way too high for those moments where we need one of the crew to cover for a few minutes.

Current Rig:
-14-20 conventionals (run off 4 channel shoe-box dimmers)
-12 LED pars (3 channels each)
-12 40" LED bars (not sure on channels, but I think it's at least 3 segments)
- an assortment of scanners and effects lights (usually no more that 2-4 per show)

Future-proof Rig (as large as we'd possibly do on a given show):
- 32 conventionals
- 36 LED pars
- 24 LED Bars
- 4 scanners
- 8 moving heads

Requirements:
- 24+ subs
- Ability to record effects to subs
- Ability to run channels as HTP (intensity channels) or LTP (movers)
- Encoders
- Either built in effects engine or pretty easy way to build effects with fades, ect (basically we need ballyhoos, can-cans, color and gobo effects... a total of 6-12 effects between movers and LEDs)
- Can be set up in a way someone can run it with minimal training (we have lots of volunteers/ less experienced crew)
- "bullet-proof"-- basically our gear tends to see touring level abuse due to volunteers/ weather/ less than ideal storage and transport/ ect.
- CAN NOT be PC based (mostly due to theft concerns... a laptop is a LOT more likely to grow legs than a console... other issue is games and internet.

Oh, and the budget is well under $1000 (exact budget would depend on how well it fits our needs).

Well, I've used a Leviton (NSI) MC 24/48 for a few years, and it works great. 48 channels, 24 subs, 600 cue capacity, smartpatching, and compatability for smart lights and other devices. Not a PC based console. If you can find it, I can't imagine it would be much more than $1K. Good luck.

A pearl was the first thing that came to my head too, it doesn't get any better than a pearl for what your needs are. That being said and trying to keep close to your budget have you looked at the magic q mini pc wing? It's close to your budget and would at least give you 10 faders and some other controls to work with.

We have almost an identical working environment over here (but a potentially bigger budget). I spent pretty much all last year checking out Solaris Network, Gearsource, and Used Lighting trying to answer this same question.

The only things I could come up with (that haven't been mentioned yet) were weird-looking Compulite boards like this. Martin Case Pro also, but I think that was more than $1k.

(For a while I thought about an iPad with Luminaire, Wireless Router, and an Art-Net to DMX converter, but it didn't seem to be much good for busking and I figured the iPad would probably get stolen immediately unless it was chained to a huge piece of wood)

Last edited:
We have almost an identical working environment over here (but a potentially bigger budget). I spent pretty much all last year checking out Solaris Network, Gearsource, and Used Lighting trying to answer this same question.

The only things I could come up with (that haven't been mentioned yet) were weird-looking Compulite boards like this. Martin Case Pro also, but I think that was more than $1k.

(For a while I thought about an iPad with Luminaire, Wireless Router, and an Art-Net to DMX converter, but it didn't seem to be much good for busking and I figured the iPad would probably get stolen immediately unless it was chained to a huge piece of wood)

Make that a huge piece of steel in a building, people who want iPads (or just want to screw with you) are rather creative when it comes to stealing things...

Don't buy an animator. Whatever you do. Do not buy a Compulite Animator. You will want to and probably will destroy it with a sledgehammer in short order. I haven't met a single person who likes them. And they're ANCIENT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back