Organizing Cable

Used to have a bunch of color copies to forget which.. ILC or TLC's color code that if using their cable on rental, I would post their color code on the road box lid. Often frequently where I work will also post that color code or used to also on the lid.

Me, I went away from the system of color coding. Yea, I still use them, but just about all gear under it's serial number if it has one, gets a tag/label of what it is and what it's length is.

That's for a few purposes, under the label 18" away from the plug and connector - each end, you get a tag such as 12/3 SJOO

W 25' on it on each end. See this tag less than 18" away from the end, and you know this cable will be a wee bit shorther.

Beyond that, you know the grade and gauge of cable in use plus it's length. See say one cable with white coloring marked as 25', one tends to fixture out all with white markings and marked as 25' long will be 25' long.

Don't require long term memory of color code, given each cable is marked for lenght already,the color code only supplements the ease of finding them as intended as a concept anyway. You also in getting tricked to read the label as a "Professional", might at that point not use if known to be 12ga wire, for a 30A loading amongst other problems at times "Professionals" don't read clearly enough to master in concept of use. Written down and pinted the say 12/3 SJOOW 25', in reading the label, your mistake in using it for other than it's design loading or purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back