Platforms with Marquee Lights?

Hi all.. I can't really give advice on the programming and whatnot, because I haven't played with it yet, but it's something I've been investigating for one of my own projects and I think it would be perfect for what the OP is looking to do..

Look at WS2812B "Smart LED" modules. They are tiny, high-lumen RGB LEDs, which you can set into your holes, and cover the holes with something like frosted plexi, or even wax paper to diffuse the light. They are very cheap - less than $1 apiece in small quantities, low voltage - 5v at a couple milliamps per module, and simple to wire - 3 wire daisy chain. No complicated chase layouts or anything. Just power, ground, and data. The LEDs are addressed individually by the computer, so you can program virtually any chase/color pattern you want. There are many computer controllers that are relatively inexpensive, and the programming software is pretty straightforward.

Firstly, I'd buy that belt lighting from Action Lighting instead, as its almost half as expensive as what you linked.

Secondly, I can't speak about the code ramifications of a common neutral, but I can say it plays fine on sensor dimmers. I usually split the neutral at the end of the belt lighting so that each stage pin has it's own neutral, but it behaves just fine. Everything should be sharing a neutral at some point in the line anyways, just be careful about the size of the neutral compared to what you're running down it.. it's already 14ga where the hots are 16ga in belt lighting.

Firstly, I'd buy that belt lighting from Action Lighting instead, as its almost half as expensive as what you linked.

Secondly, I can't speak about the code ramifications of a common neutral, but I can say it plays fine on sensor dimmers. I usually split the neutral at the end of the belt lighting so that each stage pin has it's own neutral, but it behaves just fine. Everything should be sharing a neutral at some point in the line anyways, just be careful about the size of the neutral compared to what you're running down it.. it's already 14ga where the hots are 16ga in belt lighting.
Thanks for the vendor tip.

In this particular instance, I am less concerned with code, and more concerned with safety (as in I don't care if its acceptable under code if its going to cause electrical issues in the dimmers or performers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back