Design Quick URGENT question

photoatdv

Okay... so I need to make some track lighting (architectural, except it's being used as stage lighting) look a little more skin/stage friendly (it's pretty harsh). I don't know the color temp for it and need to spec gel like now. Would a pale amber be the safest/ best solution?

Only if the fixtures are designed to take color media. Otherwise, buy amber and blue light bulbs.

Do you know what lamps are being used in these fixtures? are you getting a yellowish cast or a blueish/

Sharyn

Is that your actual stage lighting or is it scenic? If its scenic, does it have to be practical? You could always use real stage lighting, if possible.

Diffusion might help soften it too, if its that kind of harsh...

Colored light bulbs aren't an option. It's overhead lights installed by some morons that thought it could pass as stage lighting... which it has to due to budget. I think we decided we're just going to go with amber gels... and creativity. The front wash (pars) will be the warm and cool.

Hey now. Depending on the venue, they might work really well as theatrical lighting. Course, last play I was at that I didnt work on in some capacity was a show staged in someone's flat in the local downtown area, and I have lit a show in a basement with CFLs in hanging sockets plugged into a wall.

Might I ask why colored lamps are not options? Usually Lowes stocks several varieties... One thing to note (as someone who has done this before), leave plenty of ventilation. otherwise, you can cook the gel so fast that youll have haze in the air too. Dont just gaff it on there. Good luck with this, sounds like an interesting production. Post some pics of it when your done so we can all see how it went! (I for one am interested)

Got a better plan than gaff (please)? And I'm in the process of finding out if they are halogens... if so any ideas how to not have them cook gel in 5 min?

This show is gonna be the bane on me :-S

Last edited:
Um, poke lots of holes in them and then gaff usually works ok if the instrument is well ventilated... If you can find a way to stand the gel off some its always good. You might be able to fashion something out of toothpicks and glue if you ahve some time... Usually I have enough time to affix PAR16 and PAR20 gel frames to the fixtures (or whatever size is needed), or build something out of sheet metal. you can always try a larger sheet of gel stood off in a large frame by sticks from the entire rack, basically, get some distance between the source and the gel, or leave some way to get the hot air out. Any photos of the lights? How long do you have?

Try to leave an air space between the housing and the gel, particularly at the top where the heat wants to escape (ie Don't cover the housing like plastic wrap over a bowl). Another idea if the lights are dimmable and you can afford a bit of loss of light: if you can dim your track lighting, amber drift (the way light gets more amber as you dim it) might give you the warm tone that you want.
Good luck!

I have about 5 hours onsite Sat. to get the portable stand system set-up, gel and focus everything, finish the design, basically everything. And I'm the only one that can do most of this. I may have some time later in the week... but I'm not counting on it.

can you destroy them?

*edit*

to clarify: basically make hacked gel holders out of sheet metal and bolt them onto the front, safety the frame, paint black?

Last edited:
That'd be a no... they are used for other stuff. I doubt tape goo would be a problem tho b/c I'll probably be the first and only person to go up there.

What they don't know can't hurt them (or you).

I was not recommending different colored lamps but different color temperature lamps BIG difference. Depending on the socket you can typically get warmer or cooler lamps which would eliminate the need for gel

you are running the real risk of a very messy and potential fire situation. I have worked with these type of fixtures before and they are not designed to have any sort of gel put over the front. Are these MR16 based halogen? or standard incandesant? It is possible to get MR16's that have a dichro filter on the front of them typically in the 20 35 or 50 watt variety. This WOULD be a color not temperature changed lamp

If you try to put the gel on the front of the housing you are going to get it melted very quickly An alternative would be to get some sheet metal and wrap it around the housing, secure it with a hose clamp and add the gel probably 12 inches from the front

Sharyn

Actually I just talked to a colleague of mine who has worked with gelling these before who said it'll work as long as I only tape a spot on each side so the heat can escape. I would doubt they get any hotter than a cyc light.

If you try to put the gel on the front of the housing you are going to get it melted very quickly An alternative would be to get some sheet metal and wrap it around the housing, secure it with a hose clamp and add the gel probably 12 inches from the front.

Maybe. I do the lighting in a local deli that uses track lighting cans - PAR38 lamps, if I recall correctly.

There has not been any problem with melting gels, even dense blue, but in three years they have cooked one lamp socket.
I can guarantee that a cyc light pumps a lot more heat through a gel than any track light is going to manage.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe. I do the lighting in a local deli that uses track lighting cans - PAR38 lamps, if I recall correctly.

There has not been any problem with melting gels, even dense blue, but in three years they have cooked one lamp socket.
I can guarantee that a cyc light pumps a lot more heat through a gel than any track light is going to manage.

Bill

I am familiar more with the mr16 50 watt halogen, and these have the lamp very far forward to the end of the cover and get quite hot so the gel would be about an inch from the lamp and are a narrow beam. The cheap lamps don't have a dichroic coating to keep the heat transfer out the front down So I was thinking more of the closeness of the gel to lamp but these might be totally different units
I still wonder if the best long term solution is to get get lamps with a different color temp??

Sharyn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back