Robe ColorSpot 700e Animation Wheel Problem

GoboMan

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with some Robe ColorSpot 700e units, particularly the animation wheel. I just started working at my current employer and they have four of these ColorSpot units, which apparently have been sitting in storage for quite some time and we would like to be able to get them up and running again. They work fine so far--optics are good, color/gobo wheels are good, etc. However, there are three units which are exhibiting the same odd behavior, particularly in the animation wheel mechanism.

When the animation index motor activates, there is a noticeable grinding noise, and the animation wheel will freeze on the indexing track for a second, and then continue. Because of this hiccup, the animation wheel will not land in the correct spot according to the DMX value. Furthermore, if I roll it all the way to full, the mechanism will hit the endpoint and try to keep moving, therefore grinding the motor again. I have tried replacing the indexing motor with one from a working unit and I still get this behavior. The belt tension seems tight, however I do notice some cracking on the outside of the belt, perhaps due to prolonged heat over time. (I do not know the exact age of these units or for now long they have been sitting in storage unused.)

I have taken a video of this behavior and posted it to YouTube via the link below. In the video, I am manually running the animation wheel to full in, and then to full out, repeatedly. You will see and hear the wheel reach the endpoint and continue to try moving, as well as the wheel getting stuck in the middle of the track on its way back to full out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you have had this problem on your fixtures (either the ColorSpot or similar), and/or know of what could be causing this problem, I would love to hear your input. Thank you in advance!

Good Morning Goboman

The first thing I do with any repair is to turn anything that moves by hand with no power.
This allows me to evaluate the motors, belts, idler wheels, runners & gears.
It could be a missing tooth on the belt or a rough spot on a guild rail or a wheel bearing.
I've come across several motors with rough spots that throw wheels out of sync.

I would avoid grabbing the belt when moving the assy. Turn the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back