Rough dimming curve after Ethernet upgrade

Maxweisen

Hey everyone. I will start off with the rig we got at the theater I'm working at. We have an ETC Eos running the new 1.9 patch, Sensor dimmer racks with new CEM+ modules, and recently got an ETC Net2 box which I did not install so I don't know too many details on that.

The problem: Ever since we have started using the Ethernet and Net2 box I have noticed whenever I fade into a blackout or another cue the conveyional Source 4 fixtures have a very rough dimming curve, if on a graph it would look like stairs. In result I checked the curves on the console and they were normal default smooth curve. I am curious if it has something to do with resetting the dimmer racks because we jut switched to Ethernet or some setting in the console itself. Really not sure worrying if anyone has a fix or suggestion.

Thanks,
Max Weisenberger

Hey everyone. I will start off with the rig we got at the theater I'm working at. We have an ETC Eos running the new 1.9 patch, Sensor dimmer racks with new CEM+ modules, and recently got an ETC Net2 box which I did not install so I don't know too many details on that.

The problem: Ever since we have started using the Ethernet and Net2 box I have noticed whenever I fade into a blackout or another cue the conveyional Source 4 fixtures have a very rough dimming curve, if on a graph it would look like stairs. In result I checked the curves on the console and they were normal default smooth curve. I am curious if it has something to do with resetting the dimmer racks because we jut switched to Ethernet or some setting in the console itself. Really not sure worrying if anyone has a fix or suggestion.

Thanks,
Max Weisenberger

I suggest you give ETC phone support a call on Monday and they will be glad to work through the issue with you. It would be good if you had all the software versions for your console, CEM in the dimmer rack, and any gateways on the network.

ST

Hi Max,

A few questions about the rig -- are there any architectural controls in the space (Unison)? Is there anything else on the network (laptops, wifi access points, or anything else tied in with the network)? What version is the CEM+? Ordinarily, you can find this out by resetting the rack and seeing the version number that appears on the processor. Alternately, and likely more useful, take a look at what is in the system by pressing About on the Eos with a clear command line and then About System. Some devices will be listed multiple times, but a summary of what's there would be helpful. IP addresses would be helpful too, to make sure we don't have an IP address conflict.

There have been several patches for 1.9 --- 1.9.6 being the most recent. Is this what's on the console?

Did it ever work correctly after the ethernet upgrade, or has it always been steppy in the new configuration?

As Steve Terry just posted, feel free to call in Monday AM and we can troubleshoot this on the phone.

In case it's not handy...
For ETC Technical Service in the US, phone 1-800-688-4116, weekdays from 8a-5p CST. After hours at the same number is an emergency pager service, and your call will be returned within fifteen minutes. Post this number next to the phone in your booth and in your dimmer room.

Thank you all so mch for your responses I really appreciate it. Hans I will have all the info Monday when I get back in the theater. Thanks

Max Weisenberger

Those questions about what else is on the network are most important. If something else is generating a lot of traffic on the network, then the board/rack may have to wait its turn, resulting in commands being broken up.

If it is a dedicated network, then back to square one.

Hi Max,

A few questions about the rig -- are there any architectural controls in the space (Unison)? Is there anything else on the network (laptops, wifi access points, or anything else tied in with the network)? What version is the CEM+? Ordinarily, you can find this out by resetting the rack and seeing the version number that appears on the processor. Alternately, and likely more useful, take a look at what is in the system by pressing About on the Eos with a clear command line and then About System. Some devices will be listed multiple times, but a summary of what's there would be helpful. IP addresses would be helpful too, to make sure we don't have an IP address conflict.

There have been several patches for 1.9 --- 1.9.6 being the most recent. Is this what's on the console?

Did it ever work correctly after the ethernet upgrade, or has it always been steppy in the new configuration?

As Steve Terry just posted, feel free to call in Monday AM and we can troubleshoot this on the phone.

Hey Hans,

The devices on the network as listed by the console:

Multiconsole: ETC Console. IP address: 169.254.122.135
AcnRfrClient: same as above IP address: same as above
OtherAcnDevice: same. IP address: same.
Net2Device: Eos Console. IP address: same.
Net2Device: Eos node u1-4 IP addess: 10.101.50.103

The node is a net2 4 port node connected to my eps via Ethernet. The 1st universe is plugged into DMX input #1 which goes to the racks.

CEM+ version: 3.1.0

Net2 is at highest priority
ACN priority 100
EDMX priority 1
Console Version 1.9.6

And the net box says: sensor + net box

It was working fine before the addition of the netbox

There is a unison control system installed

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help

Hey Hans,

The devices on the network as listed by the console:

Net2Device: Eos node u1-4 IP addess: 10.101.50.103

The node is a net2 4 port node connected to my eps via Ethernet. The 1st universe is plugged into DMX input #1 which goes to the racks.

CEM+ version: 3.1.0

Net2 is at highest priority
ACN priority 100
EDMX priority 1
Console Version 1.9.6

And the net box says: sensor + net box

It was working fine before the addition of the netbox

There is a unison control system installed

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help

Generally speaking - you should never have any device on a single network with the same IP address.

Think of it along these lines -

The Switch (located in the Netbox) is like the postal service. Each device has an address. Using this address, the postal service knows where to send each letter. When you have multiple devices with the same address, the postal service isn't sure where to route the information...

I suspect this may be where your problem lies. Call Tech services in the am and let them talk through changing the IP addresses on your devices, and this may clear your problem up...

I would not doubt that you issue is having two devices on the network with the same IP address. ARP tables are not met to handle this, and become corrupted when this happens.(If we were using the postal service example, it would be like trying to send one letter addressed to one house to 3 houses or in computer terms MAC addresses.) The ARP table is an IP to MAC address resolution table. I would start there by changing that. Also why are you using two subnets on your network, why not just use one with out the gateway which takes out one hop increasing speed.(You may not even have a gateway and no DHCP server, do not see it listed above.) Usually 169.254.x.x means you do not have an IP address, is this the case and not that you have two separate subnets in the building?

If you are still having issues after you change those IP's I would try implementing Qos and making sure that the only things on that network are what is vital to running the dimming.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I recognize the problem but how do I go about changing these IP addresses and I wouldn't know where to start about the subnet masks. And your postal service analogy is very clear thanks for taking the time to explain that.

Thanks
-Max

Call Tech Service. You will want someone to walk you through this step by step.

It's not something just to do willy nilly. You think your system is unusable now, just screw up the IP addressing scheme even more and you will really see un-responsive....

To be honest though, I would talk to the company who you got the system from. Verifying proper IP addresses is something that they should have done before they left site.

Actually, this is not necessarily a problem. The Eos console is Link Local, which is not what you want, but it does identify as multiple device types, including Multiconsole, AcnRfrClient, an OtherAcnDevice, and Net2Device. If an IP address conflict were to exist, it would warn you with a dialog box that would pop up every few minutes.

Still, something isn't right in this system -- definitely give us a call and we can troubleshoot what's going on.

Unlike the IP address, the subnet addresses/mask should all be the same. (usually 255.255.255.0)

When IPs are not being handed out by a server, then they should be manually set. Example:
etc.

If your system has one device that cannot be set, then simply avoid that address for all the other devices.

Unlike the IP address, the subnet addresses/mask should all be the same. (usually 255.255.255.0)

When IPs are not being handed out by a server, then they should be manually set. Example:
etc.

If your system has one device that cannot be set, then simply avoid that address for all the other devices.

Following up on IP addressing --> ETC's standard network IP addresses are all in the 10.101.x.x range and subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. A guide to our default ranges for ETC devices in the system can be found here: KnowledgeBase: ETC Network IP Addresses - Electronic Theatre Controls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back