Software: WYSIWYG

T1NM4N

I am currently a grad student and I have a year left in my program. I have become accustomed to working with WYSIWYG as my main lighting program. We have a 10 seat Dongle in our design lab so I have had to come to the school to do any work I needed but that wasn't a huge issues. Obviously, when I leave, I won't have access to this program without spending a ridiculous amount of money that I may not have when I leave. Do I abandon the program all together? I'm not a huge fan of Vectorworks for lighting design and I'm definitely not as skilled with it as I am with WYG.

Thoughts?

Obviously, when I leave, I won't have access to this program without spending a ridiculous amount of money that I may not have when I leave. Do I abandon the program all together?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you can't afford it, and/or can't get someone else to pay for it, you can't use it.

Are you using WYSIWYG for its plot/paperwork generation abilities, as a visualizer, or both? There are lots of less-expensive (albeit most not as full-featured) alternatives in both categories.

I guess I'm trying to find out whether or not I should abandon the program all together and try to learn/relearn something else. WYG is so easy for me to work in and I feel like it flows better as a lighting program than Spotlight. Do I just give that up though because it isn't available to me once I leave? Have I just been wasting all my time on a program that I won't for sure have in the future?

I've been a long time WYG user simply because it is what I have. My copy is long expired but still works for what I need it to do. Vectorworks spotlight is 2600 bucks. You can get a copy of WYSIWYG Report that only does the 2d paperwork (gives you everything but Design and Perform tabs) for 899. I really need to just rip off the band-aid and move to vectorworks but I don't have the time to learn and really don't do enough drafting for it to matter.

For you, Vectorworks is the only way to go. Theatre people don't use WYG. The only people who use WYG are corporate AV types and music people who work quick. It does that well. It does not work as well as Vectorworks for detail oriented plots. Then there is the whole Lightwright issue as well. Even though I use WYG, I use lightwright for all my ppwk. It just works better.

Download the student copy of Vectorworks and start using it. Have your professors do the same. Unless you want a future in ballrooms and sheds you need to leave WYG behind you. You should also start using Lighwright and be fluent in it. I'm kind of amazed a grad program would be teaching WYG, I thought that time was long over. I was getting yelled at for using WYG by my professors 8 years ago.

As far as the cost goes, it is the cost of doing business. Don't buy it unless you need it. If you go work for a company as an employee make them buy it. If you are freelancing then the amortized cost should be built into your fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back