Source Four Mini

Les

From Used Lighting's Facebook Page:

"The Source 4 Mini is coming... It's 9" long and 1 lb. 10 oz. It uses a 50W MR16 lamp with supposedly the same features and functionality of the Source 4. There will be a track-mounted version as well.

With a price range probably between $250-$500 would you use this, and if so, in what way?"

proxy.php

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...02558426279.121543.93315491279&type=1&theater

I'm guessing that it can't accept a B sized gobo, which means if I want to use it for that I need to buy new. Given that, I'd probably want a couple as a specialty tool, but it wouldn't be a main tool. I'd have to see the specs to decide, tho.

given that there is a track mounted version I see some of these going into stores. Some already use the full sized, but a store with track lighting may try to jazz things up and be hip and different.

if it were closer to the $250 I'd seriously think about using one as a desk lamp

Bet ETC loves UsedLighting spoiling their USITT surprise. (just guessing)

But ERh Mah Gerd its adorable. Will look great with some Inkies and Birdies.

Last edited:
I doubt that many architectural specifiers will pick the S4-Mini solely because of its "cuteness" quotient.

But they are cute little things aren't they. I need to get a few for our booth. The track lights have way too much spill into the house. I'd love to have something with shutters on it.

Bet ETC loves UsedLighting spoiling their USITT surprise. (just guessing)

But ERh Mah Gerd its adorable. Will look great with some Inkies and Birdies.

Yeah, and I feel kinda bad about perpetuating it. But in any event... It is cute and I want one to take with me everywhere.

Interchangeable mini barrels? That would be AWESOME! Its a real PITA to change out bulbs in the birdies to change size... plus shutters... I think I'm in LOVE

Wsh had a couple for the Ghost House element of my current project. I'm nervous about the 2 Pars that are in there now because of how tight the space is.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw it. I kept looking for the letters "LED" and was disappointed not to find them. Why would they possibly be the same or more money than a full size S4? I guess I'm just not getting its usefulness.

My guess would be that it's the scale of manufacture that will make them more expensive. We don't really know what they will cost though since all we have is a very rough ballpark price.

My guess would be that it's the scale of manufacture that will make them more expensive. We don't really know what they will cost though since all we have is a very rough ballpark price.

Purely my opinion:
As many successful manufacturing companies have learned over the years, the MSRP pricing of a new product in the marketplace may best be left unknown for a short time early in it's life. I think the adage to 'charge what the market will bear' is valid, but potential user feedback is pretty important to find where that pricing actually lies. I look forward to hearing the thoughts and opinions from those who have the chance to see the unit at USITT!

Sure, and I understand the concept. But even the rough ballpark price range is too high, in my opinion. I feel like these should be $100. Who are they marketing this to? What possible use can it have that people will pay $200+ for it? Sure, it's "cute," but is it useful and worth the price? In my opinion it's a gimmick and will sell solely on that aspect alone. I might buy one for the cuteness aspect, but any real industry acceptance is not going to happen.

Doesn't anyone want to know what it will do before they decide it's too expensive? Personally, I'm not convinced it's for real, but what if it makes coffee in the morning and makes my whole day better? Cheap at any price.

The museum and architecture world has been looking for something like this for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back