Theatre Database Help!

I have not yet decided what the best way to do this is, i.e. whether I should publish the source code for people to set up on their own server or if I should just allow theatres to set up private databases on my server.

My choice would be to publish the source. If you host it and it becomes too popular, cost of hosting may become non-trivial to you. Also, as a user, I would want to have control of the data that I put so much work into creating - at the very least you should provide a means for users to download a dump of the database for backup. With a published source, users can also customize to their specific needs. Of course there is no reason that you can't publish the source and provide a hosted database side-by-side to let users choose. I would explicitly reserve the right to change the terms of the hosted database, but make it clear that users would always be able to move to their own server.

Not to be a downer but I seriously question the amount of work required to set up and maintain a database vs. the real benefit to the theater. Of all the theaters in the area that loan out stuff I know one that has a small collection of photos of maybe 1/4 of their inventory, no one else I know has taken the time to catalog everything. While it would be nice to have, I don't know many theaters with people sitting around looking for extra work to do.

I happen to think this is a great project, especially on the High School theater level. It's a structure of organization the students are engaged in. Ask them to go into storage and look for something they are back in five minutes saying they couldn't find the item you KNOW is down there. But ask them to look it up on line and they become determined to find it. As for having people sitting around looking for something to do, I have a great number of students looking for a way to be involved in our Tech Theater program on an entry level. It is a great tech track to become an organized shop foreman, prop master, wardrobe supervisor or stage manager.

To give anyone interested an update, I expect to have the entire project completed by the end of July. We are using php for the front end and MySQL for the database. I'll keep anyone updated who is interested.

To give anyone interested an update, I expect to have the entire project completed by the end of July. We are using php for the front end and MySQL for the database. I'll keep anyone updated who is interested.

Great! I'll be watching for updates. We are just starting to accumulate items and I was looking to do something along the same lines. Your efforts will certainly be appreciated.

An additional idea:

Create a field for location (where it is stored - some may be offsite in various storage locations)

Great! I'll be watching for updates. We are just starting to accumulate items and I was looking to do something along the same lines. Your efforts will certainly be appreciated.

An additional idea:

Create a field for location (where it is stored - some may be offsite in various storage locations)

I am laying out the structure for the database and what I have is listed below. I can add a place for location.

Right now I have Costumes, Props, Set Pieces, Miscellaneous, and Shows for tables. Each table has the same fields: id, name, description, price, location, date (auto populated), organization (auto populated), contact name (auto populated), phone (auto populated), email (auto populated).

**auto populated will be filled in without the user's input. It will be linked to their login ID and displayed in search results.

I am laying out the structure for the database and what I have is listed below. I can add a place for location.

Right now I have Costumes, Props, Set Pieces, Miscellaneous, and Shows for tables. Each table has the same fields: id, name, description, price, location, date (auto populated), organization (auto populated), contact name (auto populated), phone (auto populated), email (auto populated).

**auto populated will be filled in without the user's input. It will be linked to their login ID and displayed in search results.
Tip: Put these all into one table with a type attribute, so when that one person needs a section for their vast collection of rubber chickens, they won't be let down.

I understand where you are coming from, but what we would like to accomplish is a list of everything,but even a list of shows schools have done is a great place to start. So when we need something we would logon to the database and search. Even if something isn't listed (ie only shows are listed) then we know the best place to start calling. And if that theatre doesn't have the prop/costume/etc that we need they might know where to find it.

Amen, I thought a database would be an awesome way to keep everything organized and so I built one in MS access. Moral of the story, it ended up being way more work to actually implement the database and use it then it was worth and I felt like no one else at my small theater was going to get anything out of it or even make use of it. Thus it was eventually scrapped.

Amen, I thought a database would be an awesome way to keep everything organized and so I built one in MS access. Moral of the story, it ended up being way more work to actually implement the database and use it then it was worth and I felt like no one else at my small theater was going to get anything out of it or even make use of it. Thus it was eventually scrapped.

Ah, that's too bad to hear. I have a few local theatres on board for this already, so here's to hoping the same doesn't happen to us!

Update: Functionality is at 99%. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to delete multiple rows in a mysql table. If anyone would like to help me out, PM me please.

Hopefully I will be sending this out to my designer by the end of the week and have it turned within a few days.

I would really enjoy some feedback. If you are interested in touring it PM and I'll set up a temp account for you.

An additional idea:

I took your suggestion into consideration and originally wrote the code to include a Location tag, but at the last minute I scrapped it from the code. However, I can easily implement this again. Within 10 minutes, so you are not out of luck!

Good news: The website and database are complete and working with one exception: I am working on displaying the top ten productions that have items listed on the home page but am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish this...)

My graphic designer has been contacted and he will start work this weekend.

Progress Update: The website is still on schedule to be launched August 1st.

Can anyone suggest a good name for the service? Right now I have it as theatrexchange but I want to register a domain for the service and theatrexchange.com/.org is taken.

Update: I have decided not to release the code. Sorry everyone. However, I am planning to register a domain name and create sub domains for areas interested. This way it will be offered to anyone who wants to use it for free.

I know many of you are concerned because you want the ability to add modification. I will be wiling to work with most anyone to accomplish whatever features you are interested in.

There are a number of variations on theatrexchange that aren't taken, according to whois.com theatrexchange.net is open, propsxchange.* is open, SceneryXchange.com is suggested...

There are a number of variations on theatrexchange that aren't taken, according to whois.com theatrexchange.net is open, propsxchange.* is open, SceneryXchange.com is suggested...

I saw the .net address and considered it. I'm still not sure how I feel about .net addresses. The majority of the public do not realize .net addresses exist (.com and .gov are pretty much all the american public know). But it is still a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions. After hearing someone else suggest the .net address makes me think it might be a good alternative.

Alright, per request I am changing some of the code to reflect the use of a single theatre only. I will be releasing the code to anyone who requests it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back