Virtual Lighting desks

Alas the economic troubles have hit me so I wil be made redunadant at the end of this school year. As a result I will be using my remaining time to train a few students in the basics (desk programming, basic rigging, lamp changing ec) so they aren't left completely in the dark (no pun intended) once I'm gone, As a mini-homework assignment I was going to ask the students to familiarise themselves with a lighting console. I seem to remember there being a virtual console online somewhere (dummy program rather than actual controller) but can't remember or find where it is. Does anyone know of any that I could point them to?

Alas the economic troubles have hit me so I wil be made redunadant at the end of this school year. As a result I will be using my remaining time to train a few students in the basics (desk programming, basic rigging, lamp changing ec) so they aren't left completely in the dark (no pun intended) once I'm gone, As a mini-homework assignment I was going to ask the students to familiarise themselves with a lighting console. I seem to remember there being a virtual console online somewhere (dummy program rather than actual controller) but can't remember or find where it is. Does anyone know of any that I could point them to?

I think all the major console manufacturers - ChamSys, Hog and GrandMA offer their PC software as a free download. Others can state if they run as off-line editing software.

ETC may be the most popular as their desks are widely used. The ETC off-line editing program is now called Nomad and works for the entire Eos Ti/Gio/Ion and Element consoles. It helps to have 2 monitors as it replicates what the Element and Ion will show you.

http://www.etcconnect.com/product.downloads.aspx?ID=20351

What's the course you run at your school?
Education establishments that run full time Lighting Design Courses where students are expected to have a profesional career in lighting, can apply to be part of a program that provides free ChamSys MagicDMX Basic interfaces to the students.

The ChamSys MagicQ software is a free download which come's with our free visualiser and media player along with some demo show's ideal for training. The MagicDMX interfaces give you a USB-DMX interface to output DMX to your fixtures for physical control.

I'll happily e-mail over our training course booklet if you like?

Even if you don't qualify for the Chamsys official program, the demo type dongle for their software is dirt cheap. You have to deal with the timeout (5 hours, I think?), but it is a good jumpstart into being able to afford more complex gear. Also, it looks like you're just down the road from Chamsys, and they have fantastic support. A bit more complex to learn off the bat, and I'm not familiar enough with your market to know how prevalent those boards are over there, but you'll have access to any feature you'd be looking for.

On the same note, you can get one universe out of Martin's M-PC software for free, using either an Enttec DMX USB Pro, or any artnet node. Also a cheap solution.

ETC also offers SmartSoft, which is a virtual/offline programming software package that looks like a SmartFade. I know it will do the 2496; might do the ML.

Also: best of luck; at least you had some warning. And, believe it or not, the economy is *visibly* improving...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back