Warm and cold?

manders11

When mixing lighting colors does it matter about mixing warm and cold colors together or saturated and unsaturated colors together im not really sure how to chose colors off of a computer screen without seeing what they look like through a light does anyone have tips for me about picking colors or is it more of just an experience kind of thing? p.s. just lights like on a white backdrop
thanks manders :p

Last edited:
Re: warm and cold colors?

If you want an accurate representation of color you will have to get a swatchbook from a gel manufacter that has an acutal piece of gel. Available online or at your local theatrical supplier.

So i first posted this under the off topic forum i think that was wrong but heres my question under the lighting where it should be give me a break im new :p
When mixing lighting colors does it matter about mixing warm and cold colors together or saturated and unsaturated colors together im not really sure how to chose colors off of a computer screen without seeing what they look like through a light does anyone have tips for me about picking colors or is it more of just an experience kind of thing? p.s. just lights like on a white backdrop
thanks manders <3

Re: warm and cold colors?

yeah i got one of those but its still tricky to tell but thanks :)

Whats really a good thing to do is get two flash lights one regular, and one LED then find a white wall or sheet turn off the lights and get a dark room (generally ends up being a bathroom or such) and shine the light through the gel it will give you fairly accurate results. as far as what color (you can also stack gels to help simulate colors)

And if you want to get really in depth get a couple swatch books and use a couple flash lights (all same type) and mix color right in your own home. granted you will kind of be stuck to full on or off unless you can find a dim able flash light, but i feel it helps me a lot.

P.S. As far as mixing certain types... There is no do's and don'ts of designing lighting for a show. Its all up to the designer who at this point is you.

It's a bit hard to tell what you're asking because of the atrocious lack of punctuation. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out what the question is.
does it matter about mixing warm and cold colors together
I'm going to assume that you are asking if it matters which colors you use to mix. Answer: yes. If you want the stage to end up basically white when both colors are at full, you should choose two colors that are on the opposite sides of the color wheel. For example, blue as the cool and yellow as the warm, or red as warm and cyan as the cool.
saturated and unsaturated colors together
If you have a very light magenta/purple and a very saturated green, the result will be a slightly less vibrant green. If you mix two equally saturated or unsaturated colors, you should end up closer to white.
im not really sure how to chose colors off of a computer screen without seeing what they look like through a light
Solution: request a gel swatchbook from one of the gel manufacturers, and use that. As you use more colors, you will get more familiar with the effects from each, and what you like and dislike about them.

In the future, please use punctuation

It's a bit hard to tell what you're asking because of the atrocious lack of punctuation. Also, I'm having trouble figuring out what the question is.

While I agree with the sentiment ( manders11 - if you want us to comment on your problem, you should really try to state what your are asking clearly. Proofread your post, etc.) -

I am going to make a different assumption as to the quesiton. It sounds to me like he may be asking ' When picking warm and cool colors, should I pick colors that are very saturated, or tints that are closer together'.

As usual in lighting, the answer is 'it depends'.

If we are talking about some variant on the McCandless method, your front lights probably want to be fairly close to each other. They want to be hues that play well together. Remember that while the lights blend at the front on the actors face, the reflected light from the sides ( say the sides of the actors face) will mostly be from one color of the other. Unless you want a high color contrast on stage, you want to keep the colors fairly close.

If on the other hand, you want to look naturalistic, and have a window on one side of a brown set, and want to light a sunrise, you might use very different colors in your warm/cool to represent the sunlight, and the reflected light from the wall.

If you are lighting a show ( especially if it is one of your first ) give yourself time to make mistakes. Hang the show, look at your color choices, say 'Yuck' and change it. This is how you learn what works.

Hey Guys! Thanks so much for the suggestions. I am sorry about the punctuation problems, I am a silly high school girl haha :) Thank you again for the help, it means a lot!
Mnaders <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back