What do you prefer?

Sooooo. I'm at coffee with my stage manager for Metamorphoses and we realized my math was off. That's actually 4700 US gallons of water we need to flood our audience with. I'll post more about the show in months to come; don't worry.
[hijack]
Wow that must be one really large pool you are building.

When I did that show, we raked the pool so it was 3in deep upstage and 2ft deep downstage. Even with the pool being 16' by 24' we didn't come close to those numbers of gallons.
[/hijack]

My favorite thing to design is modern dance. I love lighting the human form as it moves (usually) gracefully through space.

I also like the concert flash and trash when I feel like abusing my console's bump buttons. :twisted:

My favorite thing to design is modern dance. I love lighting the human form as it moves (usually) gracefully through space.

I also like the concert flash and trash when I feel like abusing my console's bump buttons. :twisted:

Modern dance was a major reason I never got into rock and or dance lighting. Ran many a light board for such shows and such dance designs for me in watching them just to put it politely never made a statement for me over extravigant in stuff like here I am rolling across the stage, it's something important... but I'm just rolling across the stage none the less. Never got them important moments with modern dance personally if not often feeling the entire show crap.

Thus major differences in concept, training and design. Dance and rock.. such things I didn't get. This said, this week I need to work on the I-Beams for a tour as less an artist by way of design and more artist in how to divide like 20' sections into eight foot sections that work for the next leg of the tour. Had to design the 20' bars and now re-design for the cutting into smaller sections for the next leg of the tour. Got a few days off since the last show's needs at least.

Look forward to the afternoon dentist appointment at least...

Na. not much one for entertainment lighting design or esecially modern dance design. To all our fields. Me stage design or fixture design these days in more the ladder than the former. Lots of concepts though I would get the electrial engineering degree for doing fixture design these days in addition to lighting design at least minor. Would help to in the future replace guys like me in the field in doing so with years experience but only winding up somehow in getting that career. This as similar to those from the 70's that now are major rock designers.

WisiWig crew chief that was at best programmer in years past, guys with AutoCadd and Vector Works that wound up elsewhere. Open programs but there advantages to further educations in it and multitudes of education in it.

While still the limited concepts in winding up as a pro-designer, still the best concept to follow while takung on secondary hedging one's bet type stuff. What elese while in school can you master or minor in focusing on and what third thing can you at least study. Hanging a LC wall... what about rigging did you learn in school? It's LED and light.. the heck do I have to worry about proper rigging for it?

Beynd that, LED walls of light see thru also in effect, some amount of video design experirnce, computer programming, say photography experience as with an electronics background would be good. World is changing in a way conventional fixture design with only helps but don't make it to the future. Even moving light experience is no longer the key to.

Me, I have a career and many do, hate to be starting out now and can understand how those starting out now don't undersand key concepts I mastered. My job to further teach.

Last edited:
Sooooo. I'm at coffee with my stage manager for Metamorphoses and we realized my math was off. That's actually 4700 US gallons of water we need to flood our audience with. I'll post more about the show in months to come; don't worry.

Your going about this the wrong way. If you have resources to build a tank for 4700 gallons of water in your black box, you also have the resources to rent a roof for the space outside in case it rains. Or probably even to build one. A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" Lexan costs like $3k (McMaster-Carr) (assuming it needs to be about that thick to hold in like 20 tons of water and assuming it needs to be clear), and equivalent steel sheets are still running very high.... Oooh this is the type of show i love! Crazy stuff going down, budgets sky high, odd challenges! Thats why I love talent shows and the like, because people come with outrageous stuff for you to do, and you figure it out. I think my favorite time in the theatre is Hell Week (mainly because the stage management tends to bring me coffee and snacks) because its so nutty. The more nutty, the happier I am in the situation. Also, getting paid is a pretty big bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back