What lamp is this???

BZZZ! What SHOULD be used in most 6" fresnels is my** BTH lamp-- 575W, 115V, and almost the same output as the BTN! Brighter, Whiter (high Color temp of an HPL/GLC), and lower wattage so you can put 4 on a dimmer! Anyone with a 6" fresnel should be using this lamp as it's quite frankly AWESOME. It's just a GLC in a p28s (Medium Prefocus) base. WAY brighter than a BTL for only 75 more watts. Almost as bright as a BTN and 175 fewer watts!

**I call it "my" BTH lamp as I invented it. :)

I am a big supporter of the BTH, but I've had several lighting designers that either haven't heard of it, or doubt that it could really perform that well. Whats a ME to do?!

At whose suggestion (if the urban/ControlBooth suggestion is to be believed*)?

*New Fresnel Lamp | ControlBooth

Allow me to validate the "Urban ControlBooth Legend" - I invented it at the suggestion of SHIP, who said to me back in 2007 that BTLs needed an upgrade. Credit where credit is due! Scott Church of Selecon (at the time) was also a big proponent and loved what they did inside the RAMA fresnels.
And to answer Gafftapegreenia's question-- "What's an ME to do?" You should say, "send me a lamp to show & prove it to them!" or educate them! I can send you a data sheet on it as well.

And to answer Gafftapegreenia's question-- "What's an ME to do?" You should say, "send me a lamp to show & prove it to them!" or educate them! I can send you a data sheet on it as well.

I guess its just that Midwestern upbringing that keeps me from asking for free stuff, but next time I'm in that situation, I will surely let you know!

I guess its just that Midwestern upbringing that keeps me from asking for free stuff, but next time I'm in that situation, I will surely let you know!

You could buy one. Same price as a BTL. call any of your major lamp distributors. OSRAM Part # 54365. And don't call me Shirley! :)

What makes this even worse, is that the European way of defining lamps is to do the diameter in millimeters, So for them, T8 is 8 mm diameter. For us, T8 is 8/8ths (1") diameter. My company suffers from massive confusion because half of our product is made in Europe, so none of my dimensions are consistent to the confusion of our customers.

Don't know how it is now, but when I was in school the metric system was sort of an option to learn. These days I can tell the length of a metric bolt on sight and convert a lamp on upon seeing it or it's measurement. I actually prefer the metric system in defining a lamp. Just wish I could get a handle on the cc-8 verses say u360 concepts on a filament. In general nothing about a filament I can look at and say... that's a C-2R filament for sure...

BTH... CB asked for it and I sent out to many Spring time lamp maker visits as with other lamps that could be interesting to do. Specifically, Ushio and Phillips got the same request for this lamp as with others probably like a longer life DWE with the same output.

Mark took this request and invented it by way of it getting done in an actual lamp. CB requested it... I presented it and Mark did invent the lamp. Urbon legend done in all getting what was asked for. Now as the best time spent on urbon legend research, who asked for the lamp first on CB? That's the person best credited with the idea. We all thought of such a lamp before but only one poster asked about the concept in the past in a post which in reading it, I than forwarded it to the lamp makers.

Last edited:
You could buy one. Same price as a BTL. call any of your major lamp distributors. OSRAM Part # 54365. And don't call me Shirley! :)

Shirley... Loved the shirt and free HPR lamp once given out. Recession sucks, CB members deal with it in this theater lamp market is a small part of the lamp business and we are lucky to soon see advancements no doubt under way for normal lamps given the HPL pattent has expired. And or.. Mark can tell the tail of the Osram Europe sticker history in me throwing a wrench into the works... :) I'm sure like the 600x stickers I sent in for free stuff out of moving light lamps got a back and forth in a lot of emails corporate wise. Urr.. what's up in we just recieved like 600x stickers in exchange for free gear and needing to ship like over 100x free LED fixtures to this source. Such a bulk shipment of free gear now legendary, got stuck in customs and I had to pay for the free stuff which Osram re-paid by way of lamps "sample lamps" Believe it was like $270.00 worth of free gear I paid for that Osram US had to make up for. In a way like the turkey drop episode of WKRP in Cincinati, Osram Europe did one sticker per lamp for collecion of them in an LED fixture free from them in buying like three lamps. I bought a few hundred of these lamps and sent in a few hundred stickers. Pandimonium I'm sure Mark can relate better on the coriporate Euro to US communication side as to how suddenly they had so many stickers properly collected.

Free gear (swag) or lamps would be nice but it's a world wide type of thing and I probably killed off any near future in get a lamp/get swag concept from Osram. Done it for in general that concept in the past but the HPR lamp in getting a free lamp and shirt but the lamp didn't take off for sales unlike the BTH. Done it with Mac 2K lamps and it back fired in a huge way the collect stickers for free gear concept. Personally I was more worried and complained about... give a sticker to a roadie, see lights plastered with such stickers now needing to be pulled off. One of my staff came up with the idea of actually sending in the stickers hundreds of stickers thrown out ealier. Literally hundreds of stickers thrown out in complaint about sending stickers with the lamps. For those amount of lamps we bought, once we started collecting the stickers we got lots of swag.

Perhaps better in concept if on purchase of x-amount of lamps one can get a shirt confirming one is a AlumaPAR or BTH Osram buyer. Earn and wear with pride the swag.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back