01V96 or Studiolive

hemismith

Next item on my list to get is a new mixer. I sold most of my outboard equipment intending to buy an A&H GL2400-16 and new outboard equipment, but then I realized that the digital mixers were cheaper in total and have some valuable features.

For theater work the Yamaha seems to be the better choice with its motorized faders. But I have concerns about ease of use in a live environment. I have two pieces of Yamaha equipment and don't like the interface or manual of either. But the 01V seems to be better.

Currently we don't have a need for more than 12 mics and background music/sound effects tracks. So I can do that much on the 01V in one layer, but I have to switch for the auxes or groups; probably not a big deal. I understand I would need to use the 2nd layer as a mirror of the first in order to send pre-compression signals to the monitors, so its expandability is not of value for me.

I always need at least 2 main feeds -- one for the delays. We have one show coming up for which I will need 5 different main feeds. On the A&H I would use the matrix mixer; on the Studiolive can you do this with a combination of the groups and mains? On the Yamaha I assume I would do it all with groups.

I like the Studiolive's meters, and little things like the outputs all on the back, the lamp socket, talkback mic ... but those of course aren't big issues. I don't like the limited I/O on the Yamaha; frankly though I think all digital mixers ought to put all I/O on a remote stage box.

On the Studiolive I might be able to get around manual faders by just using mutes; can you store mute settings without fader levels?

Again, I apologize if this has all been beaten to death. I've researched quite a bit about these options in other places and read several threads on this forum, and read a lot of the manuals, but now my head is spinning. And some things you just have to use to truly understand.

We don't have any big productions coming up, just a couple small things, so I could just continue with my old Mackie and wait and see what comes out next year, but I'll have to make do without any effects, which may not be a big deal.

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm running a Studiolive/24 on a local theatre production of The Full Monty. It's been good, and I'm actually considering trying to get my church to switch to one in the future.

The firmware mine has (which is reasonably current, if not the latest) doesn't make it useful for even mute automation, since it briefly drops all audio when performing a recall. You can select the parameters you want to recall and can make it only recall mutes, but again it all drops out briefly during recall. My understanding is that's because it's possible to change sample rates; I'm guessing the dropout was a last-minute damage-control measure that I hope will be lifted in a future firmware update. But as it stands, it's not usable for any kind of automation. I knew that going in, and while automation would be nice on Monty, it's not necessary.

The scene store/recall is useful for configuration changes between shows, or bands in a festival, etc., except that you'd have to manually re-dial the head amps because they're discrete analog. Still not bad.

I don't have much experience on the O1V/96 -- only one concert -- but I didn't like its interface. That's not a fair critique, but it was one show three or four years ago and I've slept since then.

You basically have to think of the SL24, at least in its current firmware, as a manual board with built-in outboard and tracking interface (by the way, being able to track is beautiful). If you need more advanced digital features like motorized faders, automation, etc., look at an LS9.

Thanks very much. The dropouts when performing a recall could be a problem; I hadn't heard that. Hopefully they'll change that. Yes, comparing it to an analog board is probably the way to go. And yes, the tracking would be nice too. One more thing I can sell to help pay for it.

The main reason I was thinking of automation is if I want to let someone else run the sound. But I probably need to stay on the board anyway. I guess it would help if there are a lot of changes at once. Have to weigh that against the interface differences. There are always pros and cons to any board!

Thanks very much. The dropouts when performing a recall could be a problem; I hadn't heard that. Hopefully they'll change that. Yes, comparing it to an analog board is probably the way to go. And yes, the tracking would be nice too. One more thing I can sell to help pay for it.

The main reason I was thinking of automation is if I want to let someone else run the sound. But I probably need to stay on the board anyway. I guess it would help if there are a lot of changes at once. Have to weigh that against the interface differences. There are always pros and cons to any board!

The interface on Yamaha takes a bit getting used to but after a short time it works just fine, the LS9 improves on things quite a bit (the 01v96 is likely to be replaced soon IMO) For an inexpensive solution, I use a 03d and add an external 8 mic preamp. All the connections are on the back, fully motorized, etc. and relatively inexpensive these days. If you can swing it I would go for a ls9-16
Sharyn

Thanks Sharyn. Yes, it seemed to me as well that the 01v is due for a replacement and that's why I was thinking of trying to get by until next year, but things don't change quickly in this business and an older proven model is sometimes better than the latest thing. I've heard good things about the LS9 and it seems the ideal solution but I don't understand why it costs more than double the 01v. I'm not optimistic my wife would go for it, but I'm also a proponent of buy once, cry once.

One thing about the 01v that I have yet to hear a positive comment on is the meters. The other issue is I only do things occasionally. If I used it on a very regular basis I'm sure I could get comfortable with it, but I'm afraid it will be like learning it all over again each time.

I'm not familiar with the 03d but I see some inexpensive ones, including one that appears to have only had studio use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back