1st Console Produced?

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Last edited by a moderator:
No answers but just for fun, add Kliegl and Electro Controls to the mix. I believe HUB and Major tried before thier dimise. Did Ward Lennard (spelling??)ever try????

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines, Iowa, 50313

No answers either... But, The Speed of Light by Linda Essig is a pretty decent read about some of the early technology and computer controlled consoles of the day. If I recall correctly, it has a pretty good account of the development of the first computer console used on Broadway for A Chorus Line. I haven't picked my copy up in a long time, read it when it first came out...

HES - HogIII
though their is the whole mess of lightwave research and Flying pig systems to take into account.​
MA - Light Commander in both a 24 and a 48 flavor.
ETC - Concept

Grog, what about Kliegl?

... I believe HUB and Major tried before their demise. Did Ward Leonard ever try????
All three went under just as memory systems were beginning. If any had one (and I think all three may have tried), they installed very few, and are therefore insignificant.

HES - HogIII
though their is the whole mess of lightwave research and Flying pig systems to take into account.
Nope. HES/LR had a console about ten years before they ever got involved with FPS.

Maybe. "Mass production" is a little vague, and one must specify under their own brand or for OEM.

Last edited:
Right but the hogIII wasn't branded Lightwave reasearch If the question was for HES/LR console I would think that it would be specified.:twisted: Hmm, maybe it is time to pay the folks high end a little visit...

The ETC concept I believe was the first ETC branded console ETC released previously they did work for I want to say Colortran.

HES - Status Cue

If going all the way back in to LR land, there are a number of fixture-specific controllers as well.

When I was nine, I ran lights for my mother's March of Dimes programs and I remembered the cues from show to show..... does that count??? Oh yeah, it was one of a kind so I guess it doesn't fit the mass produced requirement. Oh Well... :) Six saltwater home-made dimmers in quart milk bottles and a wooden "six-pack" carton. It was a beginning!

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines, Iowa, 50313

For Kliegl - they imported a line of computerized boards from Thorn in the mid 70's ( I believe the first was Q-File). The first board that they produced in house was the Performance. They did do some earlier research on a memory console, but it never made it to market.

For Strand - I think the first board they produced in house was the micro -Q.

Humm - after I wrote this I found an article in the archives about this subject. I suggest we add a rule for this contest - no looking at control booth articles for answers.

Last edited:
Chamsys - No idea

Colortran - Channel Track, which if true, was manufactured by ETC

ETC - Channel Track for C-Tran, or Concept as house brand. The YouTube video Fred did quotes him about something for Disney that I believe became Concept.

High End Systems - Intellibeam controller. That rack mount unit designed for disco's. They also had one for Trackspot, possibly one for Cyberlight. These units were out there before Status Cue.

Horizon Controls - Well probably the original Horizon software

Jands - Event ?.

MA Lighting - No idea

Martin - No idea

Strand - Multi-Q as the first in-house/US made. Micro-Q folower. Some flavor of MMS or other Rank unit imported

TTI had a unit as well.

The first mass produced programmable console was the Kliegl Performer. Was actually most often scene as a prop in Dr. Who and other sci-fi shows.

First mainstream computer board on broadway: Strand Light Pallette in the late 1970's on "A Chorus Line"
Not exactly. The original Broadway production of A Chorus Line ran from Jul 25, 1975 - Apr 28, 1990; and from opening until 1986 used an EDI LS-8. See the thread Multi-Q on Broadway ACL production.

I believe the First/Second National Tours used a Strand-Century Multi-Q. Later tours, and most of Broadway after 1979, used Light Palettes.

Electro Control built a rudimentary memory board that I used new in 1975. It was a very basic two scene preset with only one set of dimmers. You could record a cue stack or busk it. To busk you set a scene and brought it up. Then you could leave it live and make small changes or hit a sequnce button to lock the scene and set a new scene for the other master. I found oput the hard way that it was very unreliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back