400A Distro (partially used) cam-lock tie in to 200A Disconnect

Hi Everyone,

I have a renter that is utilizing one of our flex spaces as a large dressing room. They need a lot of power for hair dryers, steamers, clothes irons for wardrobe, etc. I have a 200A disconnect with cam-lock connection in the room. They want to bring in a 400A Lex distro and only utilize the 10 Edison 20A circuits on it. Normally, visiting companies bring a 200A distro for this 200A disconnect, and that makes things easy. I'm initially concerned that the amperage for this distro is rated significantly higher than the disconnect, but only part of it is being used so that negates most of my concern. The model of the Lex Products distro is PH400A3BNJ-2ACC2C-1050.

If the 10 circuits are pulling 20A each, that keeps the total amperage right at 200A. Does anyone know if a distro that has multiple outs like this one has some kind of internal limit or a kind of sub-breaker for each part (a limit for the Edison part, a limit for the NEMA, etc)? I want to ensure 20% contingency and only pull 80% of 200A. For some smaller distros that I've used, say a 50A distro that has 6 circuits @ 20A, it seems very possible that higher draw applications would easily trip the circuit feeding this distro if each circuit on the distro is under 20A but collectively the distro is over 50A. I want to avoid any and all trips and overloads, whether it be 50A or 200A. I will ensure power is evenly distributed with other sources in the room so that we don't use all 10 of these circuits on their distro, but in case someone see an empty plug on this and plugs something in to all 10 circuits anyway, I want to know what would happen.

I've called Lex Products to answer this question and they said they'll get back to me as I can't find the model's manual online. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Your disconnect should be protected by either a circuit breaker or fuses rated for 200 amperes. If they overload it, the overcurrent protection devices will do their job.

Hi Everyone,

I have a renter that is utilizing one of our flex spaces as a large dressing room. They need a lot of power for hair dryers, steamers, clothes irons for wardrobe, etc. I have a 200A disconnect with cam-lock connection in the room. They want to bring in a 400A Lex distro and only utilize the 10 Edison 20A circuits on it. Normally, visiting companies bring a 200A distro for this 200A disconnect, and that makes things easy. I'm initially concerned that the amperage for this distro is rated significantly higher than the disconnect, but only part of it is being used so that negates most of my concern. The model of the Lex Products distro is PH400A3BNJ-2ACC2C-1050.

If the 10 circuits are pulling 20A each, that keeps the total amperage right at 200A. Does anyone know if a distro that has multiple outs like this one has some kind of internal limit or a kind of sub-breaker for each part (a limit for the Edison part, a limit for the NEMA, etc)? I want to ensure 20% contingency and only pull 80% of 200A. For some smaller distros that I've used, say a 50A distro that has 6 circuits @ 20A, it seems very possible that higher draw applications would easily trip the circuit feeding this distro if each circuit on the distro is under 20A but collectively the distro is over 50A. I want to avoid any and all trips and overloads, whether it be 50A or 200A. I will ensure power is evenly distributed with other sources in the room so that we don't use all 10 of these circuits on their distro, but in case someone see an empty plug on this and plugs something in to all 10 circuits anyway, I want to know what would happen.

I've called Lex Products to answer this question and they said they'll get back to me as I can't find the model's manual online. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

thats 10 circuits across 3 phases so you're actually not that close to the 200A capacity for the disconnect. Temporary use would be fine but you'd need to talk to the AHJ on long term.

You can almost always connect a larger rated distro on a smaller disconnect. You can even go the other way IF certain precautions are taken (400amp disconnected with a 200amp distro and cable sized for the 200 amp distro, its one of the only times the NEC allows downstream current protection). All this setup will do if overloaded is blow the main breaker at the disconnect vs at the distro. This is OK.

Hi Everyone,

As far as avoiding tripping the 200A service--You can certainly take a low tech solution and tape off additional outlets, or have them breaker off things that aren't being used, to avoid the standard wardobe "Oh I only needed to plug in my 18 steamers and ten irons so I grabbed a power strip" flexibility. At some point, if people want to get creative, they're going to get creative, but you shouldn't look to fix social problems with technical solutions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back