5 wire, 3 pole, 40-50 amp ?

SteveB

Anybody ever seen a plug/connector set in this rating ?. 40-50 amp, 3 pole, 5 wire, 120/208v, locking maybe ?.

I need to either downsize the fuse panel to 30 amp, so as to use an L21-30 connector, or find this beast.

Application is a dimmer PD (distributed dimming), with a demand load of potentially 25 amps per phase. I spec'd it as a 40 amp service but can lower that to 30 if needed. Or spec. it as Cam-Lok, but that's a pain as I then need to deal with tails into a small-ish service,, etc...

Any help appreciated. I may call Union Connector on Friday, see if they know of anything

Pretty good, but only 32 amps. If I'm downsizing, I might as well use a standard 30 amp, L21-30, which is 5 wire as well as cheaper.

Thanks though

The above poster is on the right track. We use the 60 amp hubbell pin and sleeve on all our distros when we need something bigger than the L21-30 but don't want to run cams. Great connectors, they lock, the female panel mount has a cover and when mated the the connection is IP-67 rated. Which is helpful when the show involves 8000 gallons of water.

I can't find anything that fits those specs at 40 amps. Might be best to just have a panel put in dropping it down to 30 and go industry standard on it. Most small disconnects I work with, usually put in for automation, are dropped down to 30 just for this reason, though they use a L15-30 because you don't need the neutral in automation land.

YES !.

I believe that's it. It's all about WHAT you type into Google. In this case "60 amp hubbell pin and sleeve", and a bit of closer examination of the Hubbell page yielded the following:

HBL560PS1W HBL560CS1W

As 4 pole, 5 wire devices. I had seen this prior but was looking at the image, which appears to be a 4 wire, instead or reading the device spec.

Thanks and a second thanks.

Product Datasheet -- HBL560P9W (The plug pictured on the link is incorrect. It's blue and has five pins, the ground pin being a larger diameter than the others.)
Hubbell-watertight-pin-sleeve-plug-HBL560P9W-560P9W.jpg

OR (not compatible with above)

Woodhead Y560 Expo plug
J560P.jpg

Both options are SIGNIFICANTLY (five to ten times) more expensive than NEMA L21-30.

(And SteveB: the neutral is considered a current carrying conductor, thus is a pole also, hence "4P5W".)

Last edited:
Paramount uses Meltric 33-67167-42X(60Amp) & 33-97167-42X(100Amp) 3P+N+G Locking Plugs & Connectors.

A thanks to all.

The ultimate and better solution, as suggested by the lighting supplier, was to simply run 5-6 lines @ 20amp, terminating in 20amp Edison duplex receptacles, for the distributed dimmers to plug direct. Simple and saves a PD.

Thanks again for the advice

Probably can't emit greenhouse gasses while arcing :sick:

In any case, If it can be done by running five or six 20's, then that is a FAR more reasonable expenditure! Plug prices always leave me shaking my head. It's like, "How much do you think we can rip this guy off for? He wants three phase, so he must have money!" :excitable:

Have seen the CA plugs, but will keep mouth shut. :shifty:

Last edited:
Locking CS63xx series is the answer for a 120/240 50A single phase 5 wire feeder. Commonly used on spider boxes. Applications: construction sites, convention halls, etc. Made by Marinco, Levitton, Hubbell...

Sorry, just noticed three pole requirement. There is CS series that meets that need as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back