A good beginner set-up

dasreaper

I currently freelance as a grip for production's, etc. I already have several Fresnels in my gear that range from 1 to 2k. The past few months I am starting to have local bands come up to me for me to light their gigs. I would but I cant for a couple of reasons. One, I would not use my Fresnel other than film or TV applications, two I do not have the know how to put together a kit for the local groups. I would like to get a few PAR's and LED's, but as for controlling and distro, I have no Idea. I know how to use Road Hog and Flying Pig, but they are studio use. What would be a good beginner set-up for the small local bands for some of the smaller venue's?

Since you are only talking a few PARs, a couple of shoebox dimmers should be fine. Which ones depend of what is available in your area. I have Lightronics, but I'm not far from them.

I would (did) use all LEDs and just skip the dimmers all together! Or get some par 56s for front light and power them off the el cheapo $100 dimmer packs.

LED pars are really your best bet, cheap easy to use. I did it a for a while and my "distro" were a pair of power strips!

Thanks, right now I may get a few LED par's and washes plus a cheap DJ DMX controller. Over time I will get more more and better lights. Got to start somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back