Mixers/Consoles A little help for a newb

gmff

I have been given a Peavey XRD 680. It has some things I do not understand. There is a main, mon. and efx output on front that don't seem to supply a signal to the speakers. The operating guide has some drawings in it that show equalizers and power amps being added to give operation to monitors and othher speakers. I am new at this and could use some guidance. We are trying to make this system into one that could be used for movie nights, meetings and small musical groups, anything big we would hire a sound person with some equiptment. Thanks for the help!!

All of those outputs aren't meant to be directly plugged into a speaker, they are unamplified outputs which are meant for other processing equipment.

The main output is simply a output of the mix without the graphic EQ applied, to connect this to a speaker you need a amplifier between it and the speaker first (unless that speaker has a built-in amplifier, also called an active speaker).

The monitor output is meant to be an output for a monitor speaker. Such as a speaker you would place on stage so a singer can hear themselves. Again, you need an amplifier before the speaker. The difference between this and the main output is that there are separate volume controls for each channel for this output, so you can mix this independently from what goes to your main speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back