A study into rain bags for Studio Spots

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So on last minute notice.. Or at least getting to it now in being busy last week in asked to only look into buying some storage tubs so as to rain protect some Studio Color fixtures from the rain for a one-off but will be outside a few days. Easy enough - some storage tubs as similar to what’s used for drip caps say on snow machines.

I finally grabbed a Studio Color and measured it up. Mounting holes 17.13/16" on center and given non-fan cooling, I really need some form of either large trash bag thru something hard body drum liner rated for high temperature of at least 22.5" in dia. (if I remove the handles) thru 24" in dia. Some form of origionally requested and thought of just upside down storage tub won’t work with a moving light unless huge and expensive.

Figure as long as the designer don’t ballyhoo the ceiling too much, but would want at least a +45 degree angle to the hinged axis of the fixture, I can’t for during show rain bag go lower than 16" in protecting the base but not the fixture head. For after show / night use, I need bags to go down to 24".

Did I mention for the one-off, it’s 76 Studio Colors... sorry, wasn’t mentioned to me either before tonight or I will have moved it up on my schedule for figuring out sooner in a busy last week. Renting enough Tempest domes or what ever are not an option given this amount of fixtures.

So I came up with a few concepts, priced them out in hopefully available on time and with various prices. (To the project manager... you ok with these prices?) McMaster Carr 8852K77 , 9772T34 , 9772T63 , and 9772T17 . This in addition to industrial grade trash bag as new to me tonight in concept but mentioned.

Tried the trash bag and one of the drum liner’s for prototype tonight. Not sure which one if any of them in having an extra drum liner lying about for a drum full of bad moving light lamps extra. Two different options for rain bags other than I think the hard shell liner or the high-temp. versions I don’t believe I’m using. The rest of the samples ranging in price of the trash bag from a few cents to a $36.51 hard shell drum liner for 76x fixtures with most ranging in the $15.00 range... budget no doubt will play a huge amount of a role in options and probably the trash bag in end result.

Both samples were suspended by a 23.1/2" disc of 3/8" plywood. The 55gal. heavy plastic drum liner got cut down to 24" high and at 16" a ring of nylon tubing connected together as a weight and stop got epoxied to it with DP 810 adhesive as best available for my epoxy gun and in stock. Worked well in this ring now attached to the bag by way of a lot of spring clamps for clamping ring to bag before and while gluing. Rest of the plastic given I matched the 23.1/2" plywood undersize for the bag ring was easy enough to fold up outside the ring of bag after dry. Heavy gauge tarp as made for a drum liner works well with that ring 16" down in folding up the rest of it below that ring at 24" at the expected mover range of the fixture.

For an under mounted fixture, I think these 55gal. drum liners are the best option with a few of them available to choose from - thickness obviously good but high temp, also good as a concept as also good should there be a whoops or temperatures exceed TBA testing on a fixture. 15ga. plastic is a little less user friendly but if high temp. is something to consider that I’ll be playing with in the morning. It’s also the second most cheap in the above and given most won’t need rain tents for fixtures in that quantity, might be a good idea.

Works well as a concept in glueing in a bottom ring to a drum liner with 3/8" x 23" dia. top. Might increase the dia. slightly to the top to more match that of the actual O.D. of the drum liner plywood insert, but overall it’s a good start. This in not increasing the O.D. of the ring below it in being easy to fold up the lower part of the bag to the outsides when in use.

My opinion, such a heavy gauge plastic liner to a 55gal. drum works well for rain tent to a moving light. Down as much as needed during production and flip down the rest after the show.

Tried a different version also tonight - the trash bag. Cut the same plywood top ring for it, but overall in marking of it’s maximum height, left off it’s bottom even silicone filled for weight tubing weight in that the O.D. was much larger. Instead I glued the edges of the top plywood donut to the trash bag, and weighted it. Concept developed as I glued the bag, you would use the trash bag at night in lowering it, but during the show, it would be gathered up about the top of the fixture as best possible during the show without protection of at least the base part of the fixture. No protection during the show for at least most of the fixture, but much cheaper. Also, questionable rip and or mis-aimed light resistance of the bag - but certainly cheaper. Harder to mount also but at a few cents per bag cheaper. Also, given the thickness of the bag left it long. Glued it to the top ring of plywood but after that, free floating. Length of bag will help given it’s un supported by thickness or lower ring.

Should protect the fixture sufficiently at least after the show - this assuming it as a plastic trash bag don’t get blown into a hot heat sink and just melt. Still though, the say 23.1/2" plywood ring epoxied to the trash bag will work if left long. A little less controlled but much cheaper. No protection during the show, but sufficient protection during the show.

Yet to get in the other concepts such as hard liner, but think that wouldn’t work as well as what I already have given a hard shell won't hinge down unless added to it hinges and stays. More just what of them verses trash bag is best verses what’s cheapest. Trash bag will no doubt win out for the one off... other options above no doubt best overall in offering some protection durig the use and afterwords, rolling down the rest of the bag...

Next Lighting Techie / Inventor could gain their fortune from inventing something short of a Tempest dome in only some sort of roll up, roll down, bag for protecting moving light fixtures from rain that's economical and will protect the primary sense under a light storm, and can be say rolled down to fully protect the fixture once the storm or night is over. Not aware of any sort of tent for moving lights that can be rolled up or down so as to protect them from out doors. Cheap enough what you invent... that's your next million dollar or at least widget of the year invention start to your career.

Have at and have fun.

Interesting project. Is this more of a know it will be raining, or in case it rains? If you can protect the base and at least shield the head a bit, they should be fine for a show. However in those cases they'd need to be dried out post show. Sitting damp to wet for several days will likely corrode/rust bits.

I may be totally off on this, but assuming theres a good chance they'll get wet, how about a long bag, say 4' or so with a diameter large enough for airflow around the fixture. During show it's rolled up to whereever it needs to be, then after shows they get wet roll it down to 4' so the fixture is completely shielded and take off covers for whatever parts got wet. Then hopefully it'd dry overnight and any water that drips out would drain out the bottom of the bag.

This may be crazy not sure, I've never been in this situation. Something photoatdv said made me think of this. What if you were to buy some clear tarps and cut them to be wide enough to completely fit around the truss and around the fixture and mount/fasten in such a way it wouldn't need to be taken down for the show since it was clear? As im writing this im seeing the problems with my idea... There would need to be enough air flow for the fixtures and also high temp rating which may make it not so clear anymore... Well it was a thought maybe this will spark another idea, if not doable.

Nope not crazy the tarp idea and presented, these are tower units though without overall truss to attribute a tarp to.

Protecting the base was primary concern in protecting at least part of the fixture during use with the option of rolling down the rest of the bag for the night or after production if during a storm. But if during a storm.. one often could not be on a hoist to be doing so. Learned more about the fixtures, tower units as hung, not on a truss.. for this project, I learned what the situation was as shot as all of you have. Fun suff.

In prototype, the 8mil. McMaster type 9772T39 drum liner won out for production line - though at only 10" fold length / hoop of nylon tubing to support it in more ballayhoo focus ability than I will have liked. This and before the prototype concept of making clamped fixture holes in the tents so it would be more easy to keep the water out. 1/2" hole under a clamp, instead of 1.3/4" hole by 4" hold gravity clamps now done are now a bit less weather resistant but transportable. Luckily for me the CNC machine at work was not busy in cutting the plywood to these things or I might sill be at cutting them.

Concept at it left the door, 10" of protection for ballast, and another 10" of roll down protection for the fixture. (Ventilation was accounted for in given the drum liners used had large overhanging flanges, large vent holes were cut in the plastic under the over hanging flanges so as to vent the heat. Fixture was also hung in the bag for three hours and no problems were detected other than it was overall hot but not overly hot. I do have a photo I can post if wanted.

Concept was that, it's gonna rain as it has every year, how to short of eco dome protect a lot of movers. Certainly if during the show, rain is going to burn off, but after the show in prep for the next day, the tents were asked for.

Found this on the lightnetwork site. They have other information about rain covers you might look into.
100EOS1D_8953_cedit.jpg

Yea, thought about storage tub in doing it.. I was looking to protect the fixture head more than that base only protection and more so the ability to protect the entire fixture between shows at night protect it all the way.

Had some lights come back from a past show that got a bit wet... can't imagine how much work it takes to get them back to working order once wet as my goal in protecting against as much as possible. Photo taken, post it soon as better concept.

Hum... from what i've seen a bit of rain rarely hurts movers provided they're prompty dried out after. What failures/repairs happened on your previous rained-on units?

Not my department but a lot of service call.

For example the black oxide screw (domestic version) rusts fairly easily once it's oil coating dries. Again no idea on what was needed but rain storm on moving lights as the next dept. over has been noted in them becoming busy. Certainly a lot can burn off the fixture but some done and causes problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back