AC Outlets on electric

vincecr

On the electric at our rental facility. On their electrics they have around 4 ac edison outlets. However we don't know where the switch is for them. Now I know the strand board can control non-dims so should I look there for something like that or would there be a switch somewhere. Where should I look for the controls for these. Its a pretty new theater and its built with a strand system.

They may be intended to be used as worklight circuits, but it really depends on how your facility is wired as to whether they can be controlled by the board or not. There is no quick yes or no answer as every facility is different.

Are these receptacles labeled in any way? Example: "WL-1".

Places to look for switches:
Stage Manager's console
Stage Left/Stage Right wings
Back of the Proscenium arch
Near any door leading back stage

If these are wired to the dimmer racks, the receptacles really should be labeled. Are they mounted in the raceway or are they in their own junction box with dedicated conduit? If the former, they are probably wired in with the dimmers. If the latter, look for a switch somewhere. Now is also a good time to see if your rack(s) have any relay modules. Just about any modern console can control non-dims and relay modules, so that won't give you much as to the intention of these mystery receptacles.

Have you tried plugging anything in to them? Try plugging a cliplight in to one and ghost your channels at about 15%. If the cliplight comes on, at least you know they are in with the dimmers.
If it doesn't, check your rack and make sure every module is receiving a signal. If any are not active, patch them in and try them.

Last edited:
Is there a Stage Manager's Panel (usually DSR or DSL against the proscenium wall)? Is there an unidentified box near the dimmer rack(s) that says Strand Lighting on it?

I bet if you PM the details of the facility (name of venue, location, etc.) to phenry, he could look up the factory drawings and tell you the details.

We do have work lights labeled as you specified but these are labeled ac 1 and ac 2etc. And these are also labeled in our front of house electrics.

Also I didn't finish reading the last post. How would I find the list of unpatched modules I.e non dims. Also I'm interested in getting factory drawing but how would he be able to help me

It's just non-dim power. You can't turn it on and off. It's there to power moving lights, scrollers, etc.
Even if they are constant-power convenience outlet s, there's a circuit breaker for them somewhere, and the location of that breaker would be good to know.

vincecr: phenry works for Strand Lighting, and thus could tell from the specification drawings how the outlets are to be wired/controlled.

Your Director of Facilities, Head of Maintenance, or School Board Superintendent would have copies of these drawings also. It's often/usually difficult to track these drawings down through the bureaucracy, but a vendor/manufacturer is certainly justified in charging for additional/replacement copies. See also the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/20636-help-me-understand-these-drawings.html .

Last edited:
If the houselights dim, they are on one or more dimmers. Whether that/those dimmer(s) is a) within the CD-80/C21 rack or in a separate enclosure, and is b) controlled by an architectural lighting control system and/or by the stage lighting control console are choices made by the system specifier. Again, the drawings would tell the tale.

It is frequently the case that houselights are powered by the dimmer pack, and have control options via both an architectural system (some kind of panel in the house) and the console. It may not be soft patched--find out the dimmer numbers and check the patch in your console. These systems are very handy as you can turn the houselights on with the panel when you walk into the room, but control them with the console for show purposes.

Incidentally, in spaces with these types of systems I always do a "dark check" just before the house opens, to make sure that the light aren't on via the house system.

These are in all likely hood, constant power convenience outlets, not connected to the dimmer system at all. Find the breaker panel that handles the wall outlets around the stage, the breaker is probably in the same panel.

They make a tool with a piece that plugs into the outlet and you run another piece near the circuit breakers to determine which one the outlet is attached too. I've never used one. I usually just get a lamp and plug it into the outlet then start flipping switched breakers/switches on and off to find out which one turns off the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back