Advice: mic use

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I just started a new job as a High School Theater Manager. My mic inventory is full of a bunch of mics I don't know. I've listed them all below, I would really appreciate advice from you on what I should use these mics for in the typical events I will be doing (choir, jazz band, orchestra, theater, talent shows, etc...)

Five CAD 22A's... just looks like a cheap vocal mic to me fortunately I also have 7 SM58's I'm thinking that the best move is to replace them with 58's as budget allows. Anyone think they are worth keeping?

Three Shure MX391 AND two Crown PCC160's: I don't think I need 5 boundry mics... What else can I use them for?

Two Sennheiser MD421-II What are these best for?

Two Audio Technica AE5100's

Two Audio Technica AT8538. I know it's a choir or overhead hanging mic. I've two of the little plastic boom clips as well. Any other suggestions for how to use them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Two Sennheiser MD421-II What are these best for?

What every you need them to do! Seriously, they work well on toms, kick drums, bass, horns, guitar amps, Leslie low, Rodger Daltry's voice and other loud sources that need clarity.

Three Shure MX391 AND two Crown PCC160's: I don't think I need 5 boundry mics... What else can I use them for?

Piano, harp, kick drum, table or podium.

The CAD mics are cheapies, the AT's I don't use but look at their manuals they should be able to give you a starting point.

P.S. Did I meet you at the Peppermill at LDI?

Thanks, I've run sound for a long time but I've never been very good with mic selection... mostly because I've mostly been stuck with the choice of 57 or 58 in the places I've been.

The AT AE 5100's look like a nice general use Cardioid Condenser. The kind of think I would put on a boom over a Violin or in front of an Accoustic Guitar, or on a group of singers in a pinch.

I've used the AT U853R's for choir mics and they work pretty good for a sub $300 mic, but I'm curious about other uses for them. For example, is there a good use for them in an orchestra or jazz band setting?

P.S. Did I meet you at the Peppermill at LDI?
If you broke your glasses at dinner then yes you did! I was the one propping up your friend as he fell asleep. Welcome to CB we've got some good people here, I think you'll fit in nicely.

The AE5100 would be fine for micing instruments, anything where a smooth response without high frequency boost is needed. Strings, drum overheads, acoustic guitar, piano, etc. They would be OK for choirs, too.

I think you'll find uses for everything except maybe the CADs. I could see using a CAD 22A for a talkback mic or for beatboxing (vocal percussion) or something where it is likely to take some physical abuse.

If you broke your glasses at dinner then yes you did! I was the one propping up your friend as he fell asleep. Welcome to CB we've got some good people here, I think you'll fit in nicely.

Yep, that was me. The U853R's spec sheet hints that they would be good on most strings, bass probably not so much. Play with them and see, just watch your input gain. For area orchestra mics they should work fine. Also try acoustic guitar. For the rest of a full mic locker a kick mic, like a Beta91, a couple off 57s and pair of large diaphragm condensers for piano would fit well into the applications you have listed. BTW for theatre I try and stay away from boundary mics, hate their sound and they pick up feet to much. A couple of decent small diaphragm cardioid or hypers work well and then you have them for other things when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back