Mixers/Consoles AES/EBU BNC from Mixer

Edrick

Premium Member
Got a BlackMagic video switcher that has an AES/EBU audio input unbalanced BNC.

I take it this is what I need http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ADITBNC_F_AES_EBU_Impedance_Transformer_.html

But how would I get a stereo mix into the switcher? I feel I'm missing something it's their ATEM series switcher http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio/techspecs/

The guys will be mixing from a console and feeding into this as it'll be generating the QuickTime video file for the web

I take it it is the Television Studio model? People seem to overlook that the Television Studio is rather limited in the physical I/O, which lean toward HDMI with audio and SDI with embedded audio, and the compatible signal resolutions and formats, which tend toward those common in production/broadcast 'video' world rather than those common in the computer or pro audio worlds. To use the Television Studio with an analog audio input the manual for the ATEM products recommends Behringer SRC2496 or a similar format converter. You could then use the XLR AES output and an interface box like you noted or you can apparently just use the RCA digital audio output on the format converter set for AES with an RCA to BNC cable, however the latter approach will be more limited in how far that signal can be transmitted.

What is the purpose of the neutrik adapter I posted? According to the manual the only audio input is the AEU BNC. They're just trying to send the mixed audio at all times to the switcher which is doing the encoding of the video feed. Which page did you see the Beringer recommendation?

All they need is either RCA / XLR / 1/4 Stereo put into the unit.

What is the purpose of the neutrik adapter I posted? According to the manual the only audio input is the AEU BNC. They're just trying to send the mixed audio at all times to the switcher which is doing the encoding of the video feed. Which page did you see the Beringer recommendation?

All they need is either RCA / XLR / 1/4 Stereo put into the unit.
The ATEM products do not switch audio, they rely on external audio switching/mixing. The ATEM Production Switchers support analog audio inputs and outputs via a breakout cable, however the Television Studio has no analog audio inputs or outputs, only a single AES input on a BNC connector. All of the ATEM units then incorporate the single two channel audio input into the output signal as the audio portion of the HDMI signal, embedded two channel audio on the SDI signal and embedded in the H.264 signal for the USB output.

The Behringer format converter recommendation is on Pages 17 and 100 in http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/3218836/Switchers%20Manual.pdf.

Another factor to keep in mind is that the ATEM inputs accept 525/29.97 (NTSC), 625/50 (PAL) SD, 720p/50, 720p59.97, 1080i/50 or 1080i/59.97 SDI and HDMI inputs and the HDMI inputs will also accept [email protected], 720x576@50Hz, 1280x720@50 or 59.94Hz and 1920x1080@50 or 59.94Hz computer inputs. You select the video standard to be used, however you select one video standard that is applied to all inputs and outputs. To get the price point they have the ATEM switchers do not include internal scaling or transcoding, thus all inputs must be the same format and that will also be the output format. So you can have both SDI and/or HDMI inputs but no mixed HD and SD or SD and widescreen graphics or anything like that, all input signals must be the same format and standard. A lot of people who are thinking of using it with mixed formats miss that detail and then have to do all sorts of external transcoding and conversion.

The converter you are looking at from b&h is simply a 75ohm (BNC) to 110ohm (XLR) converter. Similar to a direct box. The input is digital and the output is digital. It is a completely passive device. If you want to get an analog signal into the switcher you will have to convert it to digital first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back