Air bearing under a stage wagon

Does anyone remember the Andy Williams show? There were two sets off bleachers that began the show flat to the backdrop and as the show began these to bleacher sets were move to face or almost face each other with Andy in the middle. I remember they were floating on an air cushion. Does anyone have any idea of the holes to let the air out, the spacing, size, air pressure, source of the air? Or has any one successfully built a stage wagon that floats on air? John

Your looking for an "air caster". I have made them before and they work well, though the ones I made could only handle about 50# per caster. Industrial ones can handles tons of weight. However, industial ones are very expensive. How much weight are you looking to move?

Kyle, Thanks, I found Air Caster and ask them for a quote. I am thinking about a 6'x8'x 4" platform for a drum set and another big enough to hold a grand piano. Maybe making the bottom of peg board and plywood for the top with lots of bracing; Probably connect the the air with a floor flange. This would need to move over a carpeted stage/back stage.
Your looking for an "air caster". I have made them before and they work well, though the ones I made could only handle about 50# per caster. Industrial ones can handles tons of weight. However, industial ones are very expensive. How much weight are you looking to move?

Last edited:
I think you are going to have a tough time making it work over carpet. The last time it was done in one of the theatres I work at, all of the gaps between the pieces of masonite had to be covered with foil tape.

I think for trying to go over carpet, you're moving out of air caster territory, and into the world of hovercraft. Probably not worth it for a couple of drum/piano risers....

Air casters work well for loads moving on smooth, flat floors, they don't budge at all once they're landed, and they don't create the bow wave in the flooring that wheel casters can generate with heavy loads (2,000 lb shell towers at a road house I used to work for were destroying the stage floor until they switched to air casters). They really don't like any imperfections in the flooring (especially floor pockets), and I can't imagine them working on carpet at all.

You do need to pay attention to the volume of air needed at working pressure, and make sure you size your compressor to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back