Alternative to Pyro

ptester

I am looking for a good alternative to real pyros for flashes when panto characters enter the stage. Have seen suggestions of ideas with fog but does anyone have a great simple solution that works well on a small stage. Thanks

I worked on a show where the LD used flip-flash bulbs due to pyro being disallowed by the venue. He took the flip-flash bulbs and wired them to a circuit, and when the moment happened, he triggered the flip flash bulb to go off at the foot of the stage, and a bright flash (like that from an old-school film camera) went off and satisfied the audience for their stage magic effect.

Multipoint strobes gelled up might work if you can get them to fire correctly (in my mind you'd want quality strobes and for them to fire sequentially but within tenths of a second of each other or faster, but only once each). Add in a bright ERS or PAR gelled appropriately from the direction of the supposed flash source (from behind in my head) and ramp it up all the way over a few seconds (or less), then letting it diminish to 50-80% of its peak, depending on the look you want and overall stage brightness.

That said, it's a conceptual idea; I haven't tried it, and it would need some more thought and time programming.

Two takes for the positions of the strobes would be surrounding the area of the actor, or in my opinion the better position if being places at the source of where the ignition would be percieved and for them (3 maybe) to be placed back to back in a circle/triangle ( or stacked on a short boom facing different directions).

Last edited:
How about professional still photography strobe units. I can't give you a manufacturer or model number but understand you can use multiple heads and fire them remotely many times. I would talk to a high end photography rental/supply house. Also there is a company called "Lightening Strikes" that rents different strobe units to simulate "lightening flashes" mainly used in motion pictures. FYI they also make a 100kw lighting instrument. They're located in Southern California I believe. I hope this is helpful.

"Lightning strikes" would be too much. I made the mistake of looking into a set of them going off once. It was at least 5 minutes until I could see clearly again. When you are on stage and someone who knows the show says "don't look up", listen to that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back