Push Sticks

Jon Majors

I am looking for inexpensive "automation" solutions and one of them I've read about are long pushsticks to move wagons on and off stage. Does anyone have a photo of one they've made? My initial idea is a couple of long round poles perhaps with a hook on one end so that you could pull the wagon back (maybe with large eye hooks on the back). I'd love some advice and photos if you have them! Thanks!

Push sticks are pretty common in touring world, Its generally a small 1/2" pipe with a hinge welded to the end. The scenic piece has the other side of the hinge and using a bent nail makes an easy to grab and removable pin. We've got something that you describe on our show right now but its to grab a piece that is moved on stage with actors and then pulled off stage after the bit is done with a pretty beefy hook as its got to be fast.

I've also made them with an 8' 2x4 with a another (sanded real smooth) 2x4 at one end, glued and lag screwed in perpendicular as a handle and then a heavy duty gate hinge on the other end, through bolted to the 2x4 and the set piece. But more cumbersome to store but "easier" in that there's nothing to hook or catch, just push, pull, on, off, easy peasy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back