Altman Spectra Strip Blinking

MRW Lights

Alright hive mind let's see what you've got that I haven't thought of...

Alman Spectra Strips receiving dmx via sACN on a closed and isolated network. The unit is responsive to DMX control for intensity and color in 8bit and HSI in 16b...

However - anytime the units (x3) receive a control signal they blink. Any color, any intensity above 0, they blink.

I've checked the personality, checked the patch, moved the patch, checked the cables.... the last step is throwing the nomad on it directly, but I don't have the expectation of change. Typically I would go with a personality conflict, control conflict,, but the lines are clean I can put a lustr downstream of the altman and it responds fine... what am I not thinking of?

Just a couple of thoughts
- DMX line terminated?
- Try a different gateway
- bad DMX cable - cable may test fine on one fixture but not another
- one of the fixtures may have a bad DMX chip, try them one at a time
Just a couple of quick thoughts

Alright hive mind let's see what you've got that I haven't thought of...

Alman Spectra Strips receiving dmx via sACN on a closed and isolated network. The unit is responsive to DMX control for intensity and color in 8bit and HSI in 16b...

However - anytime the units (x3) receive a control signal they blink. Any color, any intensity above 0, they blink.

I've checked the personality, checked the patch, moved the patch, checked the cables.... the last step is throwing the nomad on it directly, but I don't have the expectation of change. Typically I would go with a personality conflict, control conflict,, but the lines are clean I can put a lustr downstream of the altman and it responds fine... what am I not thinking of?
Disable RDM on your gateway?
Home preset that accidentally has a strobe function recorded?
If you type [About] (Spectra Strip channel number) [Enter] - do the parameter values listed in the "Current Values" table seem correct? (assuming you are using an ETC console)
-Todd

I haven't terminated the line only because they're individual runs from the network switch, but it's always worth a try.

I don't believe the DMX profiles of these units have a strobe function and I reloaded the profile in a different channel and address which in theory should clear that.

all the parameter's look/respond normally. It is an ION, but I have 3 on the network, plus 2 paradigm processors sharing the control of 7 zones... I have a suspicion that I'm receiving conflicting control information from another source, but I've removed the other consoles from the network and paradigm is showing that it's releasing control of the universe when control is transferred to the ION.

Let's see what the next round of trying comes up with....

I haven't terminated the line only because they're individual runs from the network switch, but it's always worth a try.
The Spectra Strips take DMX, not sACN directly. There has to be a conversion gateway from the network to DMX. The DMX line is what needs to be terminated, not a network cable.
It is an ION, but I have 3 on the network, plus 2 paradigm processors sharing the control of 7 zones... I have a suspicion that I'm receiving conflicting control information from another source, but I've removed the other consoles from the network and paradigm is showing that it's releasing control of the universe when control is transferred to the ION.
To check this, you can use the sACN Output Viewer tab (#37) on one of the Ions to see what sACN values are being sent by which device. Or run sACNView on a laptop connected to the network.

What profile number are you setting on the Spectra Strips and what profile are you using on the Ion?
When you say "blink", do you mean they are supposed to be on at a fow level and they momentarily flash to full, or they are supposed to be on and then momentarily drop to 0?
Do they blink only when the values are changing or continuously when a value is brought to a static level above 0?

The Spectra Strips take DMX, not sACN directly. There has to be a conversion gateway from the network to DMX. The DMX line is what needs to be terminated, not a network cable.

To check this, you can use the sACN Output Viewer tab (#37) on one of the Ions to see what sACN values are being sent by which device. Or run sACNView on a laptop connected to the network.

What profile number are you setting on the Spectra Strips and what profile are you using on the Ion?
When you say "blink", do you mean they are supposed to be on at a fow level and they momentarily flash to full, or they are supposed to be on and then momentarily drop to 0?
Do they blink only when the values are changing or continuously when a value is brought to a static level above 0?

the output viewer shows the ION that should be in control of the gateway that this universe exists in and the paradigm processor and shows the control levels responding appropriately based on which system takes control.

I have tried both profile 4 and 5 on the fixture and accompanying profile on the ION to try both 8bit and 16bit operation with appropriate DMX room for addresses.

At any static level above 0 they momentarily drop to 0 continuously.

the output viewer shows the ION that should be in control of the gateway that this universe exists in and the paradigm processor and shows the control levels responding appropriately based on which system takes control.

I have tried both profile 4 and 5 on the fixture and accompanying profile on the ION to try both 8bit and 16bit operation with appropriate DMX room for addresses.

At any static level above 0 they momentarily drop to 0 continuously.
It's sounding more like a fixture problem. If you have a DMX tester, can you use it to directly control the fixtures - plug straight in with a DMX cable?

Update: Control and operation is now fine via paradigm, but the problem persists with control from the ION.... and the problem also occurred with a little 16 channel portable DMX controller we use for testing.... now I'm really scratching my head. 🤔

Resolved - alright folks here it is, after going through just about everything we can think of and making a few calls to our friends at ETC, I took a stab at a whatif in Concert. By happen chance in looking at the older gateway that these units were running from the DMX protocol was set to by Universe at 256 addresses and it just so happens that the other gateways in that system were set to by address and 100 addresses. Matched those settings as a well let's see and voila. Everything is up and running with full control including "RDM" without a hiccup. One of those this shouldn't be the issue, but could be so let's change it and see what happens.

Thank you all, we'll see you next time and don't forget to tip your stage manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back