Amnesiac Colortran/Leviton Innovation console?

Uncle Dirtnap

Daughter is LD for her local high school play, and the console is driving her batty. It will occasionally (historically 2 or 3 times a year, but seems to be happening more often lately) forget stuff. Subs, cues, almost everything - the board is still configured to work with the dimmers and all, but it is a blank slate otherwise.

When this happened a few months ago, I tracked down down some floppy disks and explained to the amazed and curious children what they were. (My grandma had some of them!). They have been great at backing up their work every night. When my daughter came back to a blank console after 2 solid nights entering 70+ cues and various looks she reached for her trusty backup disk.

It didn't work. There is a large file on the disk, it loads the file (takes a good 45 seconds even) but it produces no change on the console. Like it didn't happen. ARGHH!

Any advice? There is an even older console on the floor under the desk, undoubtedly the one BEFORE the current one. It's VIC-20 beige with magenta and teal knobs and such, so late 80s-early 90s vintage. Switching to that has always been the apocalyptic backup plan. Doesn't seem like the best idea...

-rj

There are several thread in CB about the unreliability of these consoles. Do a search; I told a good horror story in the last couple weeks.

You might try replacing the disk drive. Without (semi-) reliable disk backup, this console is scrap.

Other things to try would be a full factory reset, and replacing the memory battery. I believe I've also been advised to replace the RAM chips.

If you have only conventional lights, I'd suggest looking out for a used ETC Express. Also legacy, but much more reliable.

I doubt the RAM backup battery has ever been replaced, which will cause a lot of bizarre things to happen. It's a CR2354; check page 234 of the manual for replacement procedures (not difficult, it just slides in). The floppy disk problem may or may not be another issue. I'm intrigued by the description of the backup console, can you post a photo? Is it an ETC Insight by any chance? If so, it is MILES better than the Innovator. and I would switch consoles immediately.

Last edited:
Pictures. And Floppy disks and boards are notorious for not remembering each other. Always make 2-3 disks.

That being said format the disk with the console not a computer. You could get lucky and format the disk then transfer files to the new disk.

The floppy drive might be bad. You could open the desk and and pull it and reseat the cable. Or if you are lucky and have an era specific floppy drive try to swap it.

Although the Insight is roughly the same vintage as the Innovator, the Insight will be much easier to manipulate and have far, far better reliability. I would get the manual off the ETC website, (under legacy products), do a deep clear, format your floppies on the console, patch your dimmers to channels, then test recording and playback from the floppy before starting to record the show cues. If you run into problems, ETC tech support is always just a phone call away 24/7 and they can sort out any problems.
Two things to check: that it uses a standard HD15 VGA connector for the monitor (early ones used 9-pin EGA) and that it uses standard high-density 1.44 mb floppies (the early ones used 720k). Will be in the spec section of the manual.

Yep, my Innovator experience matches that as the board started to really reach end of life. At least the one I worked on needed a firmware reload after changing the battery, so be ready for that as well. It might not be a bad idea to start shopping for a replacement, or at least establish a relationship with your local rental shop that can get you something in a pinch should all else fail. Along the same lines, I know there are members here that live in the same general area as you who own a personal console they might be willing to rent. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back