Another lightboard stolen

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
From THEATER CHAT: Nevada Conservatory Theater suffers loss from theft - Neon - ReviewJournal.com :
THEATER CHAT: Nevada Conservatory Theater suffers loss from theft
By ANTHONY DEL VALLE
seen a suspicious light board anywhere?
The Nevada Conservatory Theater was in the middle of a production run recently when "a very expensive" light board was stolen from its Black Box.
"The building was locked at 10 p.m. on the Sunday of (a technical rehearsal)," department chair Brackley Frayer explained, "and when I came in Monday morning around 9 a.m. it was gone."
Theater personnel notified not just the police, but all the lighting companies in town in the event someone tries to sell it. They're also attempting to get the word out nationally.
The equipment was labeled with a unique code and requires a password to operate.
"It was big loss," Frayer said. "This was a very expensive computerized light board. … We used it for productions as well as in the classroom. We will have to rent from now on unless it turns up somewhere."
How did NCT get through its production?
"Luckily, Cirque Du Soleil came through and loaned us a board so that we could finish (our show)."
Frayer declined to say how much the board is worth, but another professor put the figure in the $30,000 range. …
A few comments:
1) The Nevada Conservatory Theater is the professional theater training program of UNLV. I guess the author thought everyone knew that--I didn't.
2) I suppose the author felt the general public wouldn't care that the console in question was an MA Lighting grandMA full-size.
3) Why did it take so long to get the story in print? I first heard of this via Twitter about a month ago; but, having no verification, did not repeat it.
4) Similarly, I take exception to "They're also attempting to get the word out nationally." I have not seen mention of this on any of the industry websites. If I had something stolen, I know I wouldn't depend on Twitter for its recovery.

See also Two ETC Ions reported stolen.

Last edited:
That is very strange. Everyone knows who owns GrandMA's. Of all the lighting consoles out there, this would be the hardest to get rid of cleanly. It will turn up. This is the first I have heard of it on any site.

they have (eerr had) a fullsize MA for a blackbox space?

they have (eerr had) a fullsize MA for a blackbox space?

UNLV/NCT owns(ed) a grand-MA fullsize, 4 Mac 2k Profiles, 6-8 Mac 500's, 6-8 Mac 600's, 5ish Studio Spots and 5ish Studio colors.

Depending on the size and scope of the production, design, and schedule of the season the MA travels between the Judy Bailey (mainstage prosc) and the Black Box theatre.

This is a tremendous blow for the program.

Knowing the security procedures that were in place during my tenure at UNLV I'm really surprised this happened.

I've heard from inside the department that the board has been located and they're working on getting it back.

More when I know it...

Maybe it's time for owners to LoJack these expensive pieces of equipment, especially rental houses and venues with access control challenges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back