another new DMXer

Hey everyone;

I'm a highschool student, completely self taught in both worlds of sound and lighting. Sound I do both inside my school, and professionally outside. However I've worked on lighting many times, done many of my own designs, etc. However I've only ever had the change to work with DMX and moving head fixtures a few times. I'm doing a show coming up where i'm using a 48 conventional dimmer system, and i would also like to add in 5-8 MAC 250s. and possibly some LED strips. I understand how DMX works, and how to control lights, however have never combined automated and conventional before, and never built a show with cues using moving heads.

I'm wondering what a good console is to run this system, that would be easy to learn (and affordable to rent on a charity show budget, aren't we always on a budget!?)

and any other tips anyone might have?

Thanks! ;)

Do some searching of previous threads, as this topic has been discussed at great length. In your case, I would ask, what console are most comfortable with? This, and the price are two of the bigger factors in choosing the right board. You might want to look into something like the ETC ION or Element. They are great boards designed for running hybrid rigs like you mention, with out getting overly complex like some of the large format moving light boards can get. They are also cheaper to rent than some of the bigger boards.

One huge tip I can offer when programming with movers is to create many pallets for focus positions, colors, etc. and do as much as you can in the offline editor prior to the tech. You will save a lot of time doing so. Also, remember that you will need to adjust cues to accommodate the movers. Once you program a cue, you will have to go back to a previous cue where the movers are not used so that you can move the lights to the proper position while it is not seen. This way, when you take your cue, the audience does not see the light moving from one location to another and changing colors, gobos, etc. unless, of course, this is the effect you desire.

~Dave

Last edited:
My suggestion is to contact your local rental houses and see what they have. It doesn't make a difference to push a GrandMA or Hog or an ETC board if you can only get a Leprecan. If you already have a conventional board you really just need a mover board and a second op.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back