Another query on receptacle label preferences

BillConnerFASTC

In this world of LED and just distributed relay controlled power, would you prefer the receptacles were labeled with the DMX address which controls that relay or the panel and breaker/space number? Hopefully not both because on some plug devices, like a single gang outlet on the face of a balcony rail, that would get pretty small. I guess both is possible on many devices, but seems like data overload.

I have tended to do the DMX address for relay controlled circuits and the panel and space for constant.

In this world of LED and just distributed relay controlled power, would you prefer the receptacles were labeled with the DMX address which controls that relay or the panel and breaker/space number? Hopefully not both because on some plug devices, like a single gang outlet on the face of a balcony rail, that would get pretty small. I guess both is possible on many devices, but seems like data overload.

I have tended to do the DMX address for relay controlled circuits and the panel and space for constant.
@BillConnerFASTC I vote for both and suggest in the case of balcony rail labels they should be printed inverted above the receptacle so they're not obscured by the mating male connector as they're so often read by end users viewing by leaning over the balcony edge while standing in the balcony. I've had engraving shops suspect they've caught an error but I've also had thankful responses from end users. You can't please all the people all the time but you can still keep trying.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

This.

Address label on relays that are in a dimmer rack, as it can switch to a dimmer, thus wants to be the same as the dimmed circuits. Panel and breaker # for motorized and not, as that's a convention used in other applications.

To Ron - good point but I try to get a standing rail or plank on face of balcony soleaning is not necessary.

To Steve - of course on dimmers, since they are bussed into one feed and numbered, but I rarely calk for install dimners any longer. But the relay panels seem to definitely need the DMX address, if to be switched by a console. I just don't know if they are clearly labeled at the panel with their circuit - DMX - number if the individual panel and space matters. They are all side by side.

Thanks.

Well I would opine that if I am standing in front of a receptacle controlled by a DMX relay, I usually don’t care what panel the power to the relay comes from.

If it’s powered solely be a breaker, do I care unless the breaker has tripped? Probably not but if it has tripped the cabinet/breaker info might be useful.

Well I would opine that if I am standing in front of a receptacle controlled by a DMX relay, I usually don’t care what panel the power to the relay comes from.

If it’s powered solely be a breaker, do I care unless the breaker has tripped? Probably not but if it has tripped the cabinet/breaker info might be useful.

Kind of my feeling. These are all Sensor IQ - so the relay and breaker are right there together and both labeled with DMX number. And any constants are just other breakers in the IQ panel. Seems clean. With three pole breakers an option, even Prodigies feed through this panel.

My space has been retrofitted with a 24ch Echo panel in addition to the dimmer racks. The labels on the connector strips are of the address. It's okay. Rarely do I need to know the address as I park them all at Full by defult as part of my repertory plot. But when they become unparked or I need to know the address for some other reason, it is more helpful than knowing the circuit number.

Circuits numbers would be most useful when I'm dealing with moving lights or gobo rotators that I might want to kill (without un-parking) while the theatre is dark, or possibly other people using the space. But either labeling scheme would likely inconvenience someone at some point. Something like "195-12" would be nice, and I might actually do this in my venue since I do have the space on my outlet boxes for that.

Last edited:
DMX address alone should be fine for anything that is controlled that way. At that point I know power is coming from the dimmer rack, room, closet, whatever. Assuming the racks are labeled with which dmx addresses they power it should be simple enough to find the right rack to open up. Then hopefully they're either labeled, or there is a chart inside the door so it's easy to find the right breaker. And then anything that is constant power should be labeled which panel and breaker number.

Doesn't the NEC require outlets to be labeled with the circuit number?

I use the same address as both whenever possible.... Put all the relays on one universe. Control is on a separate.

I use the same address as both whenever possible.... Put all the relays on one universe. Control is on a separate.
I have tended to put all relays - starting with no. 1 on first panel - first - and through relay panels, than a gap (for changes and additions), then the known DMX devices - house lights, work lights if not a relay, etc. And universes 2-4 are for production lighting. The architectural control addresses universes 1 and 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back