Any feedback on Clear-Com HME DX100 Wireless Intercoms?

Streamer

Has anyone used the Clear-Com HME DX100 Wireless intercom system with WH200 integrated headsets?

Our vendor is recommending the Eartec Comstars instead, but the audio quality in the demos was not very good, actually poor. For once (!), price is not an issue.. the Eatecs go for $3,000 and the Clear-Coms about $5,500 for 4 headsets.

This is for use in a video recording studio, communication between the control room and cameras.

HME bought out Clear-Com, but they are the same sets they used to sell, rebranded.
Our main concern is audio quality and ruggedness. The Eartecs look more rugged, but we don't go outside the studio. Our local Starbucks uses the HMEs and are happy with them (they have a colorful design.. we are looking at the black ones, not sure there are technical differences)

Would appreciate any hands-on feedback (positive or negative) on the HME DX100s, we are tending towards these vs. the Eartecs. Thanks!

A local community theatre I've worked at uses these. I think they've had them for ~3 years an no major issues. Occasionally needed to power cycle the base station and I remember initially they had some issues with frequency coordination at the nearby McDonalds (same units used there), but overall they worked very well for the money.

I have toured with th DX100 and BP200 beltbacks on several major stadium and arena tours.
On Stadiums, We put the base station at FOH, and the house spots use them. At that range they can hear the base station better than the base station can hear and repeat them.
On arenas, we usually have the base station at dimmers stage right, and can get coverage to SL monitors.

Hope this helps
RB

Has anyone used the Clear-Com HME DX100 Wireless intercom system with WH200 integrated headsets?

Our vendor is recommending the Eartec Comstars instead, but the audio quality in the demos was not very good, actually poor. For once (!), price is not an issue.. the Eatecs go for $3,000 and the Clear-Coms about $5,500 for 4 headsets.

This is for use in a video recording studio, communication between the control room and cameras.

HME bought out Clear-Com, but they are the same sets they used to sell, rebranded.
Our main concern is audio quality and ruggedness. The Eartecs look more rugged, but we don't go outside the studio. Our local Starbucks uses the HMEs and are happy with them (they have a colorful design.. we are looking at the black ones, not sure there are technical differences)

Would appreciate any hands-on feedback (positive or negative) on the HME DX100s, we are tending towards these vs. the Eartecs. Thanks!

If price is not an issue, than step up from that garbage and look at Radioactive Designs UV-1G, Telex BTR-800, or the HME Pro-850. With RF ICom, spending pennies now will save dollars in the future - especially with fully integrated headsets, if your headset goes down, the entire thing is down until the entire unit is fixed. Plus they tend to be uncomfortable and unwieldy. If I had my choice, I would choose a beltpack with a comfy headset of my choosing - I generally carry 2 or 3 different headset options for my crews, a feather-weight, a medium weight, and a heavy dude headset.

If price is not an issue, than step up from that garbage and look at Radioactive Designs UV-1G, Telex BTR-800, or the HME Pro-850. With RF ICom, spending pennies now will save dollars in the future - especially with fully integrated headsets, if your headset goes down, the entire thing is down until the entire unit is fixed. Plus they tend to be uncomfortable and unwieldy. If I had my choice, I would choose a beltpack with a comfy headset of my choosing - I generally carry 2 or 3 different headset options for my crews, a feather-weight, a medium weight, and a heavy dude headset.
Hi, thanks for the valuable feedback. Sorry, I should have qualified price is not an issue by saying we can't spend more than $5,000 for the entire system including 4 headsets (I was comparing Eartec to HME DX100, we can get for $5K). I agree on your better choices, but not affordable. What stands out that makes the HME junk? :) We are looking at about 200 shoots a year when headsets are needed, in a small studio. No production is more than an hour long.. regarding headset comfort. We could get belt packs with the HME. I guess I should have also asked are we better off with the Eartec or the HME DX100 as there is nothing else in that price range afaik. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Hi, thanks for the valuable feedback. Sorry, I should have qualified price is not an issue by saying we can't spend more than $5,000 for the entire system including 4 headsets (I was comparing Eartec to HME DX100, we can get for $5K). I agree on your better choices, but not affordable. What stands out that makes the HME junk? :) We are looking at about 200 shoots a year when headsets are needed, in a small studio. No production is more than an hour long.. regarding headset comfort. We could get belt packs with the HME. I guess I should have also asked are we better off with the Eartec or the HME DX100 as there is nothing else in that price range afaik. Thanks to everyone that responded.

If these are your two options - the HME is the better choice. I really dislike all-in-one units because of how uncomfortable they can be and how un-repairable they are when you need to field-service something. If your shoots are only an hour, then I don't think the discomfort is a huge issue - you're not running 3 hour shows where people are on com an hour before, 4 hours with molded plastic on your head can get uncomfortable.

Thanks for everyone's feedback… in defense of the Eartecs the lender mentioned those might have a problem regarding the low audio quality, and may not be representative. Lot of good points regarding all-in-ones vs. belt pack-headset, very appreciated. The HMEs integrated are 5.7 oz vs. 12 oz for the Eartecs. I have seen satisfied Eartec users in another thread so not criticizing that choice, but we will try to go with the HMEs.

Frank Fulchiero
Production Manager
SEC-TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back