Wireless intercom with existing Clear Com

Thetechmanmac

Im looking into getting my school wireless intercom. Most of our renters always complain about the wired system especially for backstage manager stations. We currently have Clear Com all throughout the theater. MS232 is current main station. I have two questions. One, Is it better/easier/cheaper to get a whole new intercom setup with wireless features, or a wireless unit that ties into our existing system? Two, what products are there out there that are not incredibly expensive? (we are talking about school budgets ;)).

All we would really need is 2-4 headsets that are wireless for backstage tech to use.

You're looking at roughly ~10,000 for a clearcom HME wireless system with 4 beltpacks, a base station and headsets. Wireless headsets are still expensive and hard to get right. There are a few other alternatives out there, but not many that have a good history and longevity at a lower price.

I have a telex BTR-300 system that is integrated with the clearcom. $3k+ for the base station plus $1k for each beltpack all of that is without the headsets. I have no experience with other wireless com systems. you do want a system that will link to your existing party-line. It is well worth the expense. I spread the costs out over 2 years.
You do get what you pay for.
That link looks very interesting, certainly appears to have much more flexibility than the BTR system.
it does look like their tempest system may be a bit more affordable.

Last edited:
That link looks very interesting, certainly appears to have much more flexibility than the BTR system.
I like the crewcom as well. I have not found anyone who sells it so i have no clue what the price point is. I believe it can interface with partyline systems too.

The crewcom looks to be a new product line. the Tempest line appears to have been on the market for a while now. look for CoachComm Tempest. No big savings on cost.
Some corporate name gaming causes confusion.

One, Is it better/easier/cheaper to get a whole new intercom setup with wireless features, or a wireless unit that ties into our existing system? Two, what products are there out there that are not incredibly

1. Most all mainstream wireless intercom bridge into Clearcom and RTS systems rather easily. No sense in getting a whole new system, especially because I know of no wireless system that will act as a power supply for a wired system.

2. Solid products tend to cost a fair bit of money, it's also an especially poor time to invest in traditional wireless intercom systems because of the upcoming wireless spectrum re-allocation. Traditional products like the Telex BTR-800 (or the older CoachCom BTR-200) might be found cheap on eBay, but it's moderately buy at your own risk because of the availability of spare parts and the difficulties in tuning older intercom - same goes for older HME intercom systems. ClearCom Tempest gen. 1 stuff can be found cheap (manufactured by Pliant, who makes the CrewCom mentioned above) but it's still not what I'd consider school friendly both in terms of budget and setup (used they are still going for $2k on the main station and $1k on the beltpacks).

If you do buy an older system, try to buy it as an entire set and understand that in a few years, it may not be usable. Wireless intercom is moderately bandwidth intensive, and all the manufacturers have been slowly walking away from manufacturing UHF wireless intercom. Clearcom's entire range, minus an updated model of the BTR-800, is all in gHz range. RTS (Telex) is all manufacturing in the gHz and VHF ranges, has narrowband options in the UHF range and still sells their usual BTR in the UHF range, but it is no longer the only option. The newcomers to the intercom game are all going VHF, gHz, or coming to market with various hybrid approaches - it's a pretty interesting time to be an observer and watch these market shifts. If nothing else, the sell-off is creating some innovation in this field in both the actual transmission technology, and in the user interfaces.

As for a budget-friendly option, I haven't used them, but the EarTec stuff does seem mighty inexpensive, and has an interface box for ClearCom. They are so inexpensive that I wouldn't trust them to be the best most durable and highest audio quality, but they are an option.

Coach com tempest 900 ... best of all worlds digital, bandwidth friendly, multiple packs, not cheap though ... def get what u pay for.

I have a refurbished Telex BTR 300 system with two beltpacks and three headsets (one for main station, one for each beltpack) that has been sitting idle for years. It's too small of a system for our company's needs. If you're interested, I would sell the entire system for $1000. One thing to keep in mind about wireless systems, though, is the number and thickness and materials in your walls. We found there were a couple zones in our space that were useless for wireless...
Message me if you're interested.

One thing to keep in mind about wireless systems, though, is the number and thickness and materials in your walls.

Are you using the stock whips, or remote antennas? VHF systems really shine when you need good range at the expense of moderately massive antennas. Longer wavelength = better wall penetration, which also equals sources of noise penetrating further into the building. If range is ever an issue, the great thing is that VHF antennas are very easy to come by for purchase, and really easy to make if you are feeling crafty. They are huge, but putting the antennas in a central area may clear up the range issues.

If you have wifi in your venue, stay far away from anything 2.4/5 GHz. A good solid system that is still made today is the Telex BTR-800. If you don't have much room in the RF Spectrum, you will want to look at the BTR-80N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back