Apollo EZ Iris noise

BlackoutGo

I have several Apollo Dmx EZ iris (hitting 10 years) used with my IQs and I have been noticing that over long beam times that there is a distinct metal clicking coming from them. Just wondering if applying some graphite powder to the metal gears would be useful or if anyone has any suggestions. the iris isn't getting hung up on anything foreign from what I can see.

Thanks

Graphite wouldn't hurt anything. So it is worth a try.

The metal might be getting hot enough to expand due to age the metal may have just gotten thin, not you can do about that.

Thanks, making its fade time to 0 is working the best surprisingly. Only problem will be when I deal with live moves. Graphite has been my saviour in the past for metal on metal joints.

We use an aerosol graphite spray on the vanes to lubricate them. A powder should be okay as long as temperature is okay.
Are you trying to do slow moves with the iris? The iris is moved with a stepper motor, so trying to move it rather slowly will cause the movement to not be very smooth. The noise you hear is the metal gears knocking against each other as the motor is making jerky movements. Speeding it up, as you did, will help.

Wasn't purposefully moving it slow, just have auto marking turned on and it was marking in a 10 second cue.
I have a high temp graphite spray that I use. Works extremely well to get old gobo holders in the old Colortran Berky's.

Wasn't purposefully moving it slow, just have auto marking turned on and it was marking in a 10 second cue.
I have a high temp graphite spray that I use. Works extremely well to get old gobo holders in the old Colortran Berky's.
That 10 second move would be the issue. High temp graphite spray is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back