Apollo MXR, problem?

schwei22

Hi all we just received 12 MXR's with the 600watt power supply. I did what the manual said and hooked up just three to a line and off the last one have it running back to the power supply, completing the loop. I'm using an Ion. So what is the issue I am having? It is "pulsing" almost looks like a heartbeat every few seconds. Looks like the gel strings are moving about an 1/8-1/4" and going back to their color position. We are getting the right color but this pulsing is just odd and I haven't seen it before with other scrollers. We are using them in our small studio space and I can't help but stare at them the whole time. Has anyone else ever had this issue. If so what's the deal yo? As always thanks

1. Are they new?
2. Is the cable new?
3. How is your ION outputting DMX to the PSU?
4. Try unplugging the line running back to the PSU for termination. Counterintuitive but sometimes helps.

I know some scrollers have a gel saved setting which scrolls the gel back and forth so that they don't burn through as fast. Might wanna see if the MXRs have this and if it's enabled.

All the cable is new as well as the MXRs. We have portable nodes that are receiving ethernet. From those the dmx is going to the PSU. We are also using CXIs which have never done this. I'm stumped. Should I put a terminator in the PSU. It's also odd that you can only hook three up in a chain and you have to run that back to the PSU. Seems like a lot of waisted cable.

I would try the terminator, can't hurt. Also if you have a way to check, check the output of your node. See what the DMX is really doing. We are in the process of trouble shooting a one port, NET 3 node that is dropping signal and pulsing our LED works. Out of curiosity, what ethernet system are you running?

@schwei22

Sorry you are having an issue with your new MXR2s. I'd like to help you figure out just what is causing the issue. Under normal circumstances, the strings should not twitch or pulse as you are seeing. Apollo scrollers do not have a gel saving mode, so once they settle in to their destination, they should not move again until they receive a new signal. That brings me to the first possible cause. If they are not getting a good and steady DMX signal without any noise, they may move a little erratically. You said you are using an Ion, so I am not concerned about a bad or noisy DMX signal coming from the console. However, the issue could lie in the nodes you are using and/or the ethernet cable you are using to connect the nodes. If the nodes are not high quality, they could be outputting bad DMX or putting noise on the line. If the ethernet cable isn't the right type, it could be introducing noise to the line. Another possibility has to do with RDM. If the nodes are RDM capable, it could be a termination issue. It sounds like you don't have any other devices between the node and the PSU. Is that correct? I would recommend putting a DMX terminator on the output of the last device. DMX reflections are crazy and can effect different devices differently.

I also want to clarify your hookup. I'm not exactly sure where you got that you can only have 3 MXR2s in a loop. The MXR2 manual does not say that. On page 3, it says, "Five MXR 2’s can be run from a Smart Power 200W; ten MXR 2’s can be run from a Smart Power 400W, and fifteen MXR 2’s can be run from a Smart Power 600W. Each MXR 2 requires 43 watts of power." The Smart Power spec sheet clarifies it a little more, stating that you can have up to 5 MXR2s per circuit. Note that each circuit has two outputs and two returns. That is for convenience, so you can have two loops per circuit if needed. However, you cannot exceed 200w per circuit. It is recommended that the return line is run for two reasons. First, it terminates the data through built in terminators on the returns on the PSU. Second, it closes the power circuit, providing a stable 24vDC across the line, minimizing power drops and unwanted resets. However, having too many units on a circuit may still cause undesired operation. It really isn't a waste of cable.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back