Applying Break Up Gobo

EustaceM

I want to achieve an effect with break up gobos by casting the break-ups on the stage and also illuminating the dancers without the break-ups being casted on them as much as possible. How can i achieve this effect? Should I put the break-ups as side light, front, back light, top light? How can I do this? What ways do you do to achieve an affect like this or similar?

Your best bet is back light. The patterns will be most visible on the floor while creating a nice rim of light around the performers. Top light would be your next best bet, and high sides would work okay, too.

I second that response. you're still going to have the pattern on the dancers with back light but its going to be on the upstage side and shouldn't be real visible to the audience, they'll just get a little texture on the shoulders or head, certainly not that noticeable.

I interpret this question as being answered not so easily. If we are talking about a somewhat typical dance space where the first row of audience is at the same level as the dance floor, the first row or two will still see some pattern on the dancers if you place them as top or back light. Rows higher up, though, will definitely see them break up patterns on the dancers (especially if they are of pale skin tone or wearing white costumes and do any form of bending over). So this begs the question, how sharp do the patterns need to be? If they are just to create a cool look on the floor and clarity of the pattern is not important, placing them low and upstageish you could limit them to lighting only dancers on the floor or their legs. It all depends on the space. If they need to be sharp focus and free from distortion, you'll need to use them in top light units. If it isn't a typical dance space, the other question to ask yourself is, "Can the audience even see the floor?" Or rather, how much of the audience. Is it worth it?

Less stage lighting

I am a beginner lighting designer and I worked on a dance performance (mainly as an electrician). Most of the light were on the dancers and it appeared that the stage wasn't lit at all. The performers were lit bright, but the stage was dark/very dim. I'm trying to think how was this done.

One dance the dancers were lit just like before but stage was lit with a pattern of gobos but the patterns didn't show on the dancers, only the stage.

How were these effect achieved?

Did it have to to with placement of the beams of light or the intensity levels?
Position of gobos?

I am very interested in how it was achieved.

Re: Less stage lighting

Both of the effects you're asking about was simply achieved utilizing specific hang positions/locations of the lights. Chances are with the dancers being lit yet not the stage, lights were hung on booms in the wings (generally on both) sides of the stage. Fixtures were likely placed a 1-2 feet off the deck focused across stage so that the beam is relatively parallel with the deck. Of course, fixtures would generally be hung higher up on the booms for various angles, but the general concept would be the same.

As far as the gobos, these were likely hung as top light or even possibly back light so that they would be able to adequately cover the stage with the pattern, but yet the fixtures (if the beam hit the dancers) would be from the top or back of the dancers and would not be discernable by the audience.

There are numerous variations to this, but this is generally how those lighting designs are achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back