Lighting console layout for busking?? Looking for suggestions

Tim Hite

Premium Member
I'm trying to be a better LD. Currently working with Chamsys MQ software. I've got my fixtures patched and working fine and have the basics sorted out with making my lights do what I want as far as movement/color/gobo/effects.

I'm fuzzy on laying out the console cues, parameter masters and some other stuff and generally setting up the software/console so that I can adjust things on the fly to make a better show. Trying to understand how to bring that all together. Are there any resources for this sort of thing?

Here's 268 video turtorials:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That oughtta keep you busy for awhile.

I don't know MagicQ very well, and I only occasionally do any sort of busking, so take my advice as generic, but...

The most important thing for busking is to really know your set up—console, software functions, and fixtures.

Having a good layout so that you have quick access to all of your tools from your main view. Screen layout can matter a lot, and reducing mouse movement between different frames (selection of channels, and what you want the channels to do) can make you a better LD by simply reducing the time it takes for you to change your looks.

I am typically on an Ion XE20 these days (and when I busk it's a small private concert, about 20 fixtures), and I am going to assume that MagicQ had a lot of the same features (though maybe different vocabulary). I also busk on QuickQ boards occasionally (though more often I set up for coworkers to busk on QuickQ).

The way I build a simple busk is by making several cue lists specific to fixtures and effects, and I put the global effect rate and size on a couple of handles. That way having, for instance, I can layer my moving light color chase and my moving light motion effects by having different cue lists change different parameters.

The second most important thing is to have a home state that looks good, and you can build off of. I have played around with different methods of this. My favorite these days is to have that look saved to a sub that is kept up during the show, that way ot never goes dark on stage when I clear everything else. Another way I have done this is by parking the front wash so it literally can't be changed.

It also really helps to understand how people write music a little. Now, I am not saying I understand or have any formal training, but I have listened to a lot of music across a lot of genres, and that helps me predict when a song is about to start building or reducing, which then translates into adjusting the lights for a softer or more aggressive part even if I don't know the song.

Getting back to programming, it also is a very good idea to build looks using palette or presets that can be referenced by other cues or subs. That way when you find something amiss, you can adjust it once instead of hunting down every instance.

It also really helps to understand how people write music a little. Now, I am not saying I understand or have any formal training, but I have listened to a lot of music across a lot of genres, and that helps me predict when a song is about to start building or reducing, which then translates into adjusting the lights for a softer or more aggressive part even if I don't know the song.

Getting back to programming, it also is a very good idea to build looks using palette or presets that can be referenced by other cues or subs. That way when you find something amiss, you can adjust it once instead of hunting down every instance.
^^^ Even if one is not busking, having an intuitive feel for where a song or composition is going makes all the difference in operator's speed of look application.

My skill is audio (live mixing, system design and engineering) but my degree program was performing arts education (music, theater, forensics) so I'd be lying to say I've no training in music... but some folks can just plain feel where the music is going and the good LX operators have looks and variations in mind for those changes. Good rock show LDs don't blow all their special looks in the first 3 songs... ;)

It might be instructive to watch some video of the early "big PAR can rigs" like Van Halen to see what was done with rhythm and color, and no moving fixtures...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back