Are there portable/modular stage cycs?

Curvytess

Hi All,

My husband is a high school theatre educator and director (I help out on everything). He just got the green light on funds to "buy something for the theater". Basically, he wants to install a cyc (nothing there now) but the backstage area is used in part for band/choir equipment storage. He can't install a permanent cyc because pianos/risers/etc need to have room to be wheeled onstage, and the wing space won't cut it.

We've looked into attaching a scrim to our upstage curtain track (no fly space) but he really wants a cyc for lighting effects. Any suggestions on how to achieve our lighting/cyc ideas without any permanent upstage installations?

How wide is the stage? I have done 25' olio cycs before. It works rather well... the only issue is finding the piece of tubing for it. You could also hang a cyc and trip it. You could also put it on a track and weight it. Not ideal, but it would work. Finally, you could have a batten installed and just hang the cyc up there when needed. I would suggest giving a call to your local theatre supply house and have them come out and take a look. No matter what, some rigging is going to be involved so you need to have the right people come out and do it.

The last option would be truss and crank stands... but that option just plain sucks.

I've designed many tracked cycs - one way walk along - sometimes with a curve so drop stacks against side wall. Usually use Rosco screen or Gerriets Opera. Pipe on bottom - laces on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back