Are you kidding me?

len

From my inbox this morning:

"I'm playing a show at XXXXXXX on (very soon) and was wondering if there was any sort of modest but awesome looking lighting rig I could rent for that night for $100?"

Just posting here has already taken more time than I should invest in this.

Did you tell that person "4 PAR 38's and a chaser" ?

proxy.php

I know how you feel. I got a call a couple of days ago for a PA rental. It's a full band, 4 vocals, 6 monitors, I'd be bringing a JBL VRX rig. And it's in a basement of a church, which means stairs, which means I've got to bring an extra guy. Oh, and there's an hour to load in, set up, and soundcheck. We finally get to the money part and he acts like he's just had a heart attack. I thought $550 for myself, another guy, a truck, and all the gear was a pretty decent price. Apparently he had $300 to spend. I wished him luck and told him he might get results from posting a Craigslist ad. Of course we all know what kind of quality would be had from $300 and Craigslist responses...

You couldn't even get me to shine a colored flashlight at your face for $100...just not worth it.

Good.
Cheap.
Fast.

Pick any two.

Of course you can get an modest yet [-]awesome[/-] lighting rig for under $100!!!

The wonderful $80 Basic Rig But wait, theres more, YOU get to be the one to set them up and YOU get to be the one who hauls them around!!!

For 100 dollars I'd say his best bet would be to rent a follow spot.

Of course you can get an modest yet [-]awesome[/-] lighting rig for under $100!!!

The wonderful $80 Basic Rig But wait, theres more, YOU get to be the one to set them up and YOU get to be the one who hauls them around!!!

Actually, for what it is, thats not half bad. If you were a DJ or small band, that thing is pretty much all you NEED, and it probably works just about anywhere.

I like to browse the craiglist postings just to see what fun stuff is out there. It amazes me at what some people expect to pay you couldn't even get me to roll out of bed for $150.00. Then I say to my self am I really just expecting too much money? Then I look at my stack of invoices and bills for equipment and say heck no the customer can pay more unless they want to invest multi-thousands in a basic setup.

That's actually a pretty fair deal.
8 cans, 2 dimmers, trees, cables, an actual controller and gel.

This is intriguing.

I direct the puppet ministry at my church, and for years I've had to surreptitiously borrow some lights from the theatre I work at to use for our shows.

Being a puppet ministry, a setup like this would be nice.

Anyone know if the lights are stagepin?

This is intriguing.

I direct the puppet ministry at my church, and for years I've had to surreptitiously borrow some lights from the theatre I work at to use for our shows.

Being a puppet ministry, a setup like this would be nice.

If they aren't you can get adapters or simply change the connectors (if buying.)

...Being a puppet ministry, a setup like this would be nice.

Dollars to donuts, everything is Edison (which the pictures confirm). Just to be clear, and because no one seems to have mentioned it, the $80 is a RENTAL price. Though no term is specified, I'd guess for one day or weekend. To purchase the entire package would be $300-500 roughly.

Cris, have you seen this thread? http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/21286-lighting-puppets.html

Last edited:
Dollars to donuts, everything is Edison (which the pictures confirm). Just to be clear, and because no one seems to have mentioned it, the $80 is a RENTAL price. Though no term is specified, I'd guess for one day or weekend. To purchase the entire package would be $300-500 roughly.

Cris, have you seen this thread? http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/21286-lighting-puppets.html

You are right. It IS Edison (as per the pictures) and the $80 is to RENT. The term is for up to three days. Because Silhouette (the rental shop) isn't open on weekends, so you could pick it up on friday and drop it off on Monday without any extra charge.

And to BUY a similar system would be between $470 and $800 from Musicians Friend Plus however much the cables are if you want longer cables than what come with it.

I assumed the price was rental. If you could purchase a light kit like that for $80, it would be a lot of high quality flashlights.

But that is a lot cheaper then most of the kits we rent. And I mean a LOT!

I think it's a day price. Weekends are probably more.

And thanks for the link! I've seen it before, but after about ten years of doing the puppet ministry, I've pretty much figured out all the tricks to lighting a typical puppet stage.

However, the kit we usually use has 4 3" fresnels, and four 6x9s. It runs us about $150 per show. And then there are occasions where we will pop out for a few followspots.

I think I'm going to bookmark that package fo use in the future. It's a good amount cheaper then the one we use, and it seems to have about the same power.

We've been using a lot of LED lights too, because it reduces the heat on the poor cloth puppets.

Y'all let me know if you find a similar kit for less.

As a sidenote, if I were going to invest in a kit, this would not be the one I would pick.

I would never purchase a lighting kit without fresnels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back