Control/Dimming arfr question

Dreadpoet

for those who use arfr on their android device.... I don't understand the use of the wireless router on the console. does the console need to receive wireless internet through the router.... or does it send a wireless signal from the console through the router to the arfr. i dont understand why the console would need wireless internet so i am assuming the later...but i have always opperated offline.

for those who use arfr on their android device.... I don't understand the use of the wireless router on the console. does the console need to receive wireless internet through the router.... or does it send a wireless signal from the console through the router to the arfr. i dont understand why the console would need wireless internet so i am assuming the later...but i have always opperated offline.

I assume by "the wireless router on the console" you are referring to ETCs setup instructions that are basically counter to conventional network practices where you hook the console to the WAN port of the router and use the console as a DHCP server and such. While it is odd, I guess it works, so you should just follow their instructions.

As to why you need a wireless router. Well you have to create a wireless portion of your lighting network for your android device to connect to. It actually should be totally separate from any network that has the internet. The aRFR and iRFR don't actually use the internet, they just connect to the console over the ETNet3 network. The Wireless device merely provides the wireless to wired bridge.

The consoles do not have WiFi capability. They communicate with a stand-alone WiFi router or access point via the consoles Ethernet connection. You need to connect the router/access point to the lighting network via an Ethernet switch using Cat5 cable, then have the i/aRFR function turned ON in shell of the console. Then the console can transmit/receive data to/from the device running the i/a/RFR app.

EDIT: ICE beta me to it, thanks for the post.

Last edited:
thanks...thats what i thought..though i found ETCs barebones intstructions a little confusing for one who never networks devices in this way. thanks.

thanks...thats what i thought..though i found ETCs barebones intstructions a little confusing for one who never networks devices in this way. thanks.

While I don't really agree with or understand why ETC has given the instructions that they did, if you don't know much about networking, it would behoove you to follow their instructions. At least if you do, it should work and they should be able to help if it doesn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back