Hansentd

Found this on Amazon- thought it was cheep RGB LED tape, but when I went to hook it up to DMX decoder for control I realized something was off.
Couldn't figure out why it seemed to have an extra lead (should have been 3 color/4 wires- but it has 5), and plugging into a decoder did nothing.
Then I plugged it into the wall, and suddenly I realized the lights were dancing up and down the string.
Then, there are only 3 connections between the segments (12v, Dout/Din, Gnd). It runs from the remote without 2 of the wires connecting to anything.

Listed as JoyLit LED Strip "Dreamcolor" Kit- obviously no documentation in the box (why would there be)
The controller has a QR code which sends you to the page to download their app.
I assume that the app is for bluetooth control, but I'm not downloading to check and I wouldn't advise you to either.

So my conclusion- this is some kind of pixel tape?? with some very simple (and proprietary) software built into the little controller to make it dance in 8 different pre-programmed patterns.

My question- has anybody encountered this and cracked the way to control this with DMX.
I only need simple LED tape for this project, but if I can actually find a way to control it from a console I'll absolutely keep it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230901_143529987.jpg
    PXL_20230901_143529987.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20230901_150941298.jpg
    PXL_20230901_150941298.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 107
They are listed on Amazon as WS2811, which are pixels. You can search DMX and WS2811 and find a range of decoders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back