Armored vs thermoplastic Edison plug

Lasermike

The lights in our space have armored plugs, old school looking things with a full metal jacket. There is a pile of spare instruments in the lighting cage but only one had a plug on it and it was hanging on by the hot wire. The neutral screw was way backed out and the plastic face is a tad melted. That loose neutral would be live if not connected to the neutral so I took the plug off for now.

Question is, do I stick with armored or is a standard Hubble/Leviton/insert favorite brand name here a good replacement?

Michael

The metal plugs probably have lame clamp style strain relief's. Most new plugs have chuck style strain reliefs which are actually functional at relieving strain
They do have the lame 2 screw clamps that I’ve never liked for anything but Romex We use Hubble at work which have the cable width guide on the shell so that you can set the clamp correctly for the cable size. Thing is the instruments are 3 separate conductors in a braid sleeve so a strain relief with more than two points of contact would make me happier.

The metal shell plugs are old school and had as said above a rubber insert for help in straining relief the two screw metal strain relief. (That strips easily.) Such plugs are now I believe considered home owner grade, and or if the bushings/rubber inserts are not there to help clamp the cord grips onto the cable are inneffective unless friction tape is used - a better solution. Back in the day... the early 90's when knowing just enough, and working with no money in the budget... I liked the metal shell store bought Edison plugs. I would terminate my wires in fork terminals and put them into the terminals. Insulated fork terminals would fit, one could ensure tension on the conductors from the terminals without them stripping, and didn't have to worry than about loose terminals. I probably have some still at home in this termination and plug type.

You should not use such plugs in a theater these days. The Hubbel./Leviton/Pass Seymore/Marinco commercial grade plugs are these days required. I love Hubbell but only for under 14ga. in not fitting right anything 12ga. Just not designed well for 12ga. cable. I love Pass Seymore Yellow/Black but it's a squared body, but I do love them and hardware store available. Options in cord grip and good quality. Leviton is company plug standard I use. Yea, I/where I work is OEM with them given how many plugs/connectors I buy per year... this was a choice in what brand I use by way of at times, over a thousand of them bought per year. I chose this brand and recommend it within the rules of CB due to experience and trying other brands. My go to brand of plug.

In general, the largest problem with the use of all commercial grade plugs is the installer of them. Beyond loose terminals in forgetting to tighten one, or going lilly weak in terminating them... it's as mentioned above following the instructions on the plug. For the metal shell and other household grade plugs, the strip length of conductor is normally about 1/4". For commercial grade plugs the proper strip length dependant on brand is between 1/2" and 5/8" dependant on the brand.

Can't tell you how many melted terminals on commercial grade plugs I have had due to someone stripping issues of 1/4" of insulation off a cable and putting the rest of the insulation covered conductor into the terminal of a plug... The insulation in the way of the clamp prevents the clamp tightening suffently onto the conductors and than you have problems. I train as many people as I can on following the instructions and or terminating plugs... It's still common the problem of someone that didn't read the instructions and did the 1/4" strip length causing the problem.

Even get this from our suppliers who often crimp the conductors (crimped ferrule into a plug other than stage pin or cee form - bad idea if set screws are not directly clamping down onto conductors,) no thought of the wire insulation making for a bad termination. Every cable from manufacturer's we get for hundreds of moving lights per year has to be inspected - marked for inspection, and normally re-terminated. Normally we color in the UL-Listed bug at the center of the plug with a purple if from my department, or silver sharpee dot around it if done from someone else. Not supposed to use un-marked factory fixture cables unless inspected.

I could a lot more about the factory supplied fixture moving light cable whips - need to inspect tension on terminals, strip length, cut off the ferrule, not commercial grade plugs in use... but off topic.

De-list the use of your metal shell Edison plugs in use for a replacement program to start. Upgrade to be funded in following the current standards. On torque, 1/4 turn past hand tight is not something than can be conveyed without inspection. Perhaps if the plug has a torque setting to terminals, as they probably do, a torque screw driver should be required also out of safety at least to check/verify torque.

I have installed literally thousands of of Edison and other plugs over the past 30+ years. Might be a video on this website on the subject. Remember thumb on the ground of the wire, and thumb on the ground of the plug terminal to put them together. If stripped right, and tree'd right and terminals open, should be able to put all conductors in at once. Seconds to install such a plug terminals properly.l

Last edited:
The metal shell plugs are old school and had as said above a rubber insert for help in straining relief the two screw metal strain relief. (That strips easily.) Such plugs are now I believe considered home owner grade, and or if the bushings/rubber inserts are not there to help clamp the cord grips onto the cable are inneffective unless friction tape is used - a better solution. Back in the day... the early 90's when knowing just enough, and working with no money in the budget... I liked the metal shell store bought Edison plugs. I would terminate my wires in fork terminals and put them into the terminals. Insulated fork terminals would fit, one could ensure tension on the conductors from the terminals without them stripping, and didn't have to worry than about loose terminals. I probably have some still at home in this termination and plug type.

You should not use such plugs in a theater these days. The Hubbel./Leviton/Pass Seymore/Marinco commercial grade plugs are these days required. I love Hubbell but only for under 14ga. in not fitting right anything 12ga. Just not designed well for 12ga. cable. I love Pass Seymore Yellow/Black but it's a squared body, but I do love them and hardware store available. Options in cord grip and good quality. Leviton is company plug standard I use. Yea, I/where I work is OEM with them given how many plugs/connectors I buy per year... this was a choice in what brand I use by way of at times, over a thousand of them bought per year. I chose this brand and recommend it within the rules of CB due to experience and trying other brands. My go to brand of plug.

In general, the largest problem with the use of all commercial grade plugs is the installer of them. Beyond loose terminals in forgetting to tighten one, or going lilly weak in terminating them... it's as mentioned above following the instructions on the plug. For the metal shell and other household grade plugs, the strip length of conductor is normally about 1/4". For commercial grade plugs the proper strip length dependant on brand is between 1/2" and 5/8" dependant on the brand.

Can't tell you how many melted terminals on commercial grade plugs I have had due to someone stripping issues of 1/4" of insulation off a cable and putting the rest of the insulation covered conductor into the terminal of a plug... The insulation in the way of the clamp prevents the clamp tightening suffently onto the conductors and than you have problems. I train as many people as I can on following the instructions and or terminating plugs... It's still common the problem of someone that didn't read the instructions and did the 1/4" strip length causing the problem.

Even get this from our suppliers who often crimp the conductors (crimped ferrule into a plug other than stage pin or cee form - bad idea if set screws are not directly clamping down onto conductors,) no thought of the wire insulation making for a bad termination. Every cable from manufacturer's we get for hundreds of moving lights per year has to be inspected - marked for inspection, and normally re-terminated. Normally we color in the UL-Listed bug at the center of the plug with a purple if from my department, or silver sharpee dot around it if done from someone else. Not supposed to use un-marked factory fixture cables unless inspected.

I could a lot more about the factory supplied fixture moving light cable whips - need to inspect tension on terminals, strip length, cut off the ferrule, not commercial grade plugs in use... but off topic.

De-list the use of your metal shell Edison plugs in use for a replacement program to start. Upgrade to be funded in following the current standards. On torque, 1/4 turn past hand tight is not something than can be conveyed without inspection. Perhaps if the plug has a torque setting to terminals, as they probably do, a torque screw driver should be required also out of safety at least to check/verify torque.
I hear what you are saying. The plug I pulled had the ground wire not properly stripped so the insulation was trapped under the screw, the neutral was either not tightened properly or had its insulation trapped since the screw was way loose and the threads were damaged due to heat. The hot lead was ok.
The Hubbles we use are all marked for insulation length and strip length so that the chance of insulation being trapped under a screw or the cord grip in the housing not interfacing with the cable jacket correctly is lessened.
I don’t like 2 screw clamps for anything other than flat cable. The Hubbles work great with SJOT type cables but again, without some packing like @brucek suggested, they won’t really provide the grip I’d like to see.

Michael

Flat cables are new conversation... I have an example of one gone bad. Flat cable - a convention type cable, designed for the use with SF-3 heavy gauge also in use. I despise them. Hated making a little less than a hundred of them in building. Worst ever cable to try to terminate. I use Leviton, though yellow/black Pass Seymore is a good option. Realistically were I making more, I would just farm them out to a molded plug. Lex is expert of course, but they have problems with bonding cable to plug plastics. TMB in more expensive I would look into also.

Other than Romex, the only flat cable I can remember terminating was what I thought of as the catenary that supplied power to the shuttle car that delivered pallets to 5 palletizers and both sides of the robotic palletizer. The cranes at the steel mill used a true catenary, wires hung from supports with pick up shoes on the crane, the shuttle car used 150' of 6 AWG four conductor flat cable hung from trolleys.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back