Assistant Lighting Designer Kit

Thanks for the instructions.
I was able to view all the cues there.
I cannot, for whatever reason, view your or icewolf08's pdfs.
The come up as 1x1 pixels. Oh well.

Thanks again
Jim

I see a lot of great suggestions for what to carry in an ALD kit, but what I'm curious about is what case does everyone use for all this stuff! What do you use to carry all the various, random ALD kit items? Pictures if you got em and reasons why you like the choice you've made. Any particular cases/bags to avoid and why?

I see a lot of great suggestions for what to carry in an ALD kit, but what I'm curious about is what case does everyone use for all this stuff! What do you use to carry all the various, random ALD kit items? Pictures if you got em and reasons why you like the choice you've made. Any particular cases/bags to avoid and why?

Dear CMLDesign: I have photos of my kits in my book, The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit. www.ALDToolkit.com. I also talk about different choices of containers that different associates prefer. When I'm working on large regionals or Bway shows, I use a rolling suitcase. It is my main kit. The best part about it is that it has a lot of different pockets to separate out the items into logical places. The worst thing you can do is dig continually for something the designer needs RIGHT NOW! This is also why a large plastic bin is my least favorite choice. (Others like it.) I also find the plastic bins break easily in transit and are bulky to carry. My suitcase has flown around the world with me and has lived for decades now!

Anne E McMills
Author of The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit
www.ALDToolkit.com

Dear CMLDesign: I have photos of my kits in my book, The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit. www.ALDToolkit.com. I also talk about different choices of containers that different associates prefer. When I'm working on large regionals or Bway shows, I use a rolling suitcase. It is my main kit. The best part about it is that it has a lot of different pockets to separate out the items into logical places. The worst thing you can do is dig continually for something the designer needs RIGHT NOW! This is also why a large plastic bin is my least favorite choice. (Others like it.) I also find the plastic bins break easily in transit and are bulky to carry. My suitcase has flown around the world with me and has lived for decades now!

Anne E McMills
Author of The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit
www.ALDToolkit.com

I'm actually reading your book right now! I just wanted to get more feedback before I purchased anything. I will be working my first major ALD gig in a few months. Woot!

I had a feeling that a rolling suitcase would be the way to go. What size do you use? 22"? 24"?

I'm actually reading your book right now! I just wanted to get more feedback before I purchased anything. I will be working my first major ALD gig in a few months. Woot!

I had a feeling that a rolling suitcase would be the way to go. What size do you use? 22"? 24"?

That's so awesome! Thanks for the interest in the book! :)

I just measured my kit -- 12"x20"x8". Perfect size to fit across the arms of the theatre seats, but not stick out into the aisle. :)

I have found that Filemaker Pro (or any database program) is one of the most efficient ways to generate and maintain spot paperwork. One of the biggest advantages is that once you have a template, all you have to do is input the data for each new show you do. Also, at least in FMP you can generate many different layouts for output, so while I might work on the master sheet, all the information that gets entered also goes into a cue sheet for each individual spot operator.

Here is an example from "The Light in the Piazza" which we did last season:
View attachment 2061
View attachment 2062

Hi! Do you still have ac copy of how you were able to link your follow spot cues? or was it just all one database table with 4 fields? I am trying to separate mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back